~*~

~*~

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Making Tools

I was recently reading about Jane Goodall (actually before I knew I'd be working at the zoo where we have 3 chimpanzees).
She was the first person to discover that animals can make their own tools. Chimpanzees will strip a twig and use it to fish food/bugs/ex out of crevices.
And today I witnessed it first-hand. One of the chimpanzees broke off an acacia branch, snapped off the side twigs, and in one fluid motion stripped off all the leaves. Then she started poking it down into holes in the rocks and licking off what she found.
I was amazed at how easily and quickly she did it. And I was amazed that I got to see it. Though it's probably far more common than I think it is? XD

While many animals can use tools, very few can make their own tools. It was very cool.

No comments: