~*~

~*~

Friday, April 6, 2018

My Favorite Character is a Dead Guy

So, for the first time since middle school, I have fully committed to a favorite movie (In middle school it was X-Men 2). I've kind of toyed around with a couple. Howl's Moving Castle was my default answer for a long time.
Then I wondered if Big Hero 6 might have the spot.

Now for the first time in over a decade, I have a favorite movie.
Coco.
And this favorite movie also has my new favorite character.

So what's the problem?
Every time I watch my favorite movie, I have to watch my favorite character die.
Literally, collapse on the ground and die.

Freaking hell.


And my favorite character is a dead guy.



Soon after I watched Coco, I posted a picture of Hector to my DA. I said in my comments that I loved this guy. At that point, I hadn't really gotten to talk to anyone else about the movie. And one of the comments that was left on my picture was "everyone loves Hector."
And I thought, "Oh. I guess I'm not really original, if this is the kind of character that everyone else loves too." That doesn't stop him from being my favorite though~

But when I told my friend Nick that Hector was my favorite in the movie, he said he wasn't sure if I was joking.
Half of me wanted to laugh, and the other half wanted to hide behind a table.


Hector is pretty strange. Either you love him, or you think he's weird. Well, he is weird. I love weird people. Most of my favorite people are weird people. I am also a weird people.

Though at first even I didn't know why I liked Hector so much. Because I started out with such low expectations of him and the movie, it kind of slowly crept up on me how much I loved both (you can kind of see that process through my blog posts, like when I was surprised that I couldn't focus on my stories because I couldn't get my mind off Coco - that was when I knew I liked it but didn't yet realize that I loved it).
So it took a bit to pin down why I really love Hector.
There are several reasons:

1. His animation. That was what first struck me. His animation is brilliant. His bones rattling around. His expressions. His crazy stunts (plus the voice actor does such an awesome job of making him both weird and endearing. And he does both the English and Spanish versions? That's so freaking cool! I watched the Spanish version because I had to see Hector in Spanish. It was good~).

2. He makes me laugh. A lot.

3. He never gives up. He's always got something new he's trying, no matter how many times he's failed in the past. Which is a lot. Despite everything, he is not a broken man (though you can see how how much the pain has built up).

4. Despite the hell he's been through, he still cares about people. It doesn't seem like it at first (not at all) but he is compassionate, and puts himself at significant risk to help Miguel. Hector encourages him and praises him, and later he comforts him when it seems like both of them are doomed. All of this is before he knows Miguel is his great great grandson.

5. I'd want him for an amigo. He seems like he'd be fun to hang out with. Probably more so when he's back with his family and not a desperate falling-apart guy. But he'd probably really need a friend the most when he was falling apart (although you may not want to lend him anything important).

No comments: