~*~

~*~

Friday, June 15, 2018

Roses and Diamonds

First of all, spoilers on Steven Universe: A Single Pale Rose.
I watched it a while ago, and am finally getting around to writing about it XP

I always thought it was odd how Rose/Steven had so many different powers. The other gems really only have one or two abilities, but Steven has several (floating, controlling plants, healing people, linking dreams, ex). I guess now it makes sense.

I don't know yet if I'm excited about Pink Diamond's identity. I want to see how they explain all of it (I still haven't gotten really excited about any new stuff since Lars and Steven were taken to Homeworld, though the episode with Garnet and the kittens was pretty cute).

The more I thought about Pink Diamond, it made more sense. Oddly enough, when I connected it to The Twelve Kingdoms, it all clicked. Pink Diamond, and Youko.
When Youko becomes queen, no one else at the palace trusts her. Even though she's queen, she can't really do anything. Thus she pretty much stages a coup against herself to show the officials that they can't mess with her.


Pink Diamond feels very much the same. During Steven's dream, Yellow treats Pink like a child. They give her a colony to humor her. So although Pink "owns" Earth, I bet she doesn't really hold any of the power. The other Diamonds are probably forcing her to run it their way.

Pink must have thought that she could never talk the other diamonds down, so she tried to fight against them while keeping her own involvement secret. I guess she could never have imagined that the diamonds would end up destroying almost all of her allies (and planting the Cluster).

No comments: