~*~

~*~

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Is a Predictable Movie Still Good?

Dad wanted to see Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
I could predict nearly every dramatic moment in the entire movie. Although that didn't bug me as much as the pacing (you have to have a break from constant tension and action) and the fact that the animals often didn't act like animals (Animals running for their lives from explosions aren't going to stop to eat).

I think the most intense moment in the movie was when they were leaving the island.
Backtracking a bit (a lot). In the very first Jurassic Park movie, the most awe-filled moment is when they see a live dinosaur for the first time - the brachiosaurus. One of the largest, most well-known dinosaurs. Beautiful, and peaceful.


They remade that moment in this new movie, where those two younger people see their first dinosaur - the brachiosaurus - in the ruins of the old park.
Then as they escape the island, the brachiosaurus dies in fire. IT was as though she was pleading for help, and there was nothing the protagonists could do for her.
I guess her death was to symbolize that the wonder and awe the dinosaurs once gave is gone? Which kind of makes it seem like any sequels they're going to make from now on are going to be very dark. There wasn't much fun in this one either. At least I don't remember any fun moments?

As I mentioned, I was able to predict most of the movie. For example:
Oh, that guy escaped the t-rex, but the mosasaurus is going to eat him. Yep. There he goes.
That guy is so dead. Wait, he's still alive? Oh, there he goes. Yep. I knew that was the dinosaur that was going to eat him.
Well, this guy's going to show up and save her.
Well, obviously the dinosaur is going to show up and save all of them.

It's nice when a movie (or plot twist) is surprising. But that isn't necessary for me enjoying a movie.
Take Coco. The moment Hector and Miguel teamed up, I knew Hector would be the great great grandpa. But Coco is still my favorite movie.
(I went a whole week without watching any clips. Then I watched Poco Loco and melted all over again)

No comments: