~*~

~*~

Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Friends that Don't Know You

Whenever I think up stories with Fern, I feel like I know the characters she interacts with.
It sometimes spills over onto actors that play those characters. Especially when I've seen special features or interviews including those actors. It feels like I know them.
Even more so if the same actor ends up as multiple characters that I love. Although there are not very many actors who have made it into more than one Fern story. Oddly enough, several of the actors that do end up as multiple "Fern friends" are in the first three X-Men films. Wolverine, Nightcrawler, and Magneto.


For example, Nightcrawler, played by Alan Cumming, is also the Bog Kong in "Strange Magic."

Fern didn't do much in Strange Magic. But sometimes I have fun making up interactions between her and some characters. More of a visit than actually taking part in any plot.
Sometimes I toy with Fern saying, "gee, your voice sounds really familiar." Or, "you look so much like a friend of mine!"

I recently listened to an audio book "Leviathan." I tried it because I really like another series by that author (called "Uglies").
And I was excited to find that the person reading the audio book was Alan Cumming.
Since I've seen him in so many things, and especially because he's played a couple characters that are "Fern friends," it felt like I was meeting with an old friend.
Which I immediately found hilarious, because of course that Actor doesn't have a clue who I am.

However the book was very good. I'm half way through the second book in the series. Alan Cumming does good voices. I'm endlessly entertained by his New York reporter, because I never really hear him with any kind of American accent (except in Spy Kids). But I also love the voice he does for the Count (probably my favorite). And for the lady scientist.
(I've actually heard another audio book by him, a long time ago. I think it was called the Conch Bearer)
Anyway, he has a good voice. Which I guess people have known since Black Beauty.

And I always count it as a major bonus when an actor is also a singer. Because I love to sing along!

No comments: