~*~

~*~

Monday, July 20, 2020

New Computer

I hate how computers are made intentionally to become obsolete. It's so disgustingly wasteful. The materials that go into these computers are not something humans can afford to waste. Many of them are mined in ways that are very destructive to the environment.
So I try to make my computers last as long as possible.
But my computer was starting to get left behind by the internet.
Again, intentional obsoletion.

So I got a newer computer.
I just picked it up today from getting all my data moved over.
I was kind of nervous turning it on for the first time.
And sure enough, something's wrong.
A ton of my applications aren't working at all. Word, Excel, Power Point, iphoto. And who knows what else.
And I know all of these things were working fine on the computer before it got transferred over to me.
So now I have to try to figure out how to get them all back.
I obviously can't write my freaking stories if I can't open Word.
The mac store screwed up my laptop last year, and they never did get Word back on that (or anything else they screwed up).
So I'm not having a lot of faith in them to fix the new problem they caused.

I just feel drained from thinking about it.

Also the zoo recently reopened.
Zoos are extremely expensive to run. Animals need food and medical care and enrichment even if there are no paying guests. So of course animal places are desperate to reopen to get money to take care of the animas (many of which are endangered or critically endangered).
But even with rules, limited entry, a million signs, and announcements, people still don't follow the safety rules. I'm one of the main enforcers, but all staff do what they can to make people keep their masks on and such.

Why are people so horrible at staying safe?
A couple days ago, I had to call security because a guy refused to wear his mask. He had his wife and daughter with him. But he wouldn't follow the rules, so we had to make them leave. He screwed up the day for his whole family. And he was endangering everyone in the zoo.

I will never understand humans.

Anyway, vent.
The computer problems pushed me over the edge. I got a new computer so that it would work better, not worse.

No comments: