~*~

~*~

Sunday, October 18, 2020

Shiny Pokémon Again

Okay, gonna do another frivolous video game post about shiny Pokémon! None of these are recent. It just took me this long to write about it.

Not long after I found my shiny Vullaby, I found two more shiny g-max Pokémon. I don’t remember if they were on my raids, or if they were from online raids.
Carnelian the Bonsly, and Rosso the Solrock

Then a nightmare. I came across a shiny gmax Machamp in an online raid. And I failed to catch it. I was so angry taht they only gave you one Pokeball to catch it. It was so easy to lose a shiny.
So I went to Let’s Go Eevee with the intent of chain shiny hunting a shiny Machop.
And a shiny Onix appeared before I even got started. I named her Riju, from Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which I had been playing earlier.

And I finally found my shiny Machop. I named him Daruk – also a character from Breath of the Wild. (Though I had to give up on a shiny Charmander along the way! I already had one, so I let it go).

A buddy at work said he wanted a shiny Nidoran M. Since he helped me with some trade evolutions, I tried to shiny hunt one for him on Let’;s Go Eevee. I didn’t find one. But I did find a shiny Rattata! I named her Sweetpea.
I continued trying to hint for that shiny Nidoran, with no luck (I even gave up on two more shiny Rattata TT^TT)
Then as I was exploring the Pokémon Mansion, I went around a corner and practically stepped on a wild Pokémon. The moment the enouncter music started, I noticed a couple sparkles appearing from around the corner and realized what I must have. A shiny Raticate! I named her Bailey.

That same work buddy told me about a Facebook/Discord group that does shiny Pokémon giveaways. I joined, wanting to get that shiny Gmax Machamp (at the time there was no way to add Gmax to a regular Pokémon, and I was still determined to regain that one I lost). People found a fascinating bug in the games that let you find chains of shinies in the raid dens. I ended up joining several and catching a baunch:
Charjabug-Brix
Hattrem-Maple (for the witch in the Zelda oracle games)
Lampent-Kalahari (watching an Africa documentary that day)
Heatmor-Gobi (watching an Africa documentary that day)
Alcremie-Kirimi (after a character in Ouran High School Host Club)
Drakloak-Dundee (Watching Crocodile Dundee that day)
Turtonator-Darius (I’d been reading FMA earlier)
Hakamo-o-Aurelian (I’d been reading FMA earlier)
Espeon-Izumi (I’d been reading FMA earlier)
Sylveon-Orinoco
Pikachu-Tanji
Eevee-Anza
Machamp-Bruce (A name I’d had in mind for a while)
Togekiss-Alderaan (watching Star Wars that day)
Golisopod-Yavin (watching Star Wars that day)

Several of them were Gmax, including that sought-after Machamp!
After I finally got that g-max Machamp, I stopped joining the raids. Shiny Pokémon aren't as exciting when they're too easy to get. I punished myself by drawing all of them. That's a good motivation to stop catching easy shinies. (And of course, not long after this, they released the option to gmax normal Pokémon. So I could have made Daruk a G-max after all. Ah well) I still get the urge to shiny hunt a Vulpix or Squirtle on Let's Go Eevee. I tried for a Vulpix recently, but no luck. Maybe some day. I caught a surplus of shinies this year, so maybe it's good to wait.

No comments: