~*~

~*~

Saturday, October 31, 2020

Metal Bending

This is building off of a previous post about renaming the "Magic-Folk." They're now called Aevenn. It got too complicated to weave this topic into that post, so I'll discuss it more here.

For a long time, I've been thinking of creating a new race of Aevenn. I have the earth magic people, but their magic is mostly rock. And it never sat right with me how metal magic was included with rock magic. After all, rock and metal are extremely different chemically. It always seemed odd that they were lumped together in some elemental systems. 


I've been fretting over this for both the Aevenn, and also the earth dragons. I've already drawn and organized all of my dragon species, and I don't even have any ideas for another design of dragon. Unless I just made it similar to the existing earth dragons. 

And since I never wanted to design a metal dragon, it held me back from making a metal race of Aevenn. But also, you don't usually find big chunks of metal out in the world. It always seems to be in veins, or nuggets. It's not nearly as plentiful as rock. So maybe there are just fewer of the metal people. 

Anyway, I finally made a race of metal people. I don't know if I'll ever do the same with dragons, and it will probably continue to bug me about whether or not I should.


And on a different part of that same topic, what about storm magic? I have the storm dragons that can spit lightning. But some of them can also work with the wind too. Wind and lightning certainly go together with the theme of storms, but again they are very different from each other.

So I also wonder if I should split the storm dragon into two species - one for wind and one for lightning. 

(I doubt I'll make lightning humans though)

No comments: