~*~

~*~

Monday, December 21, 2020

Premature Plotting

Frivolous post about Fern stories~

I just read a few of my notes for Fern stories.  Usually I'll jot down the basic ideas I ahve on scratch paper. And then when I have a fuller picture, I'll copy them down in my notebook. Some of my notes are written when I'm in the middle of a series. It's mostly so I don't forget the ideas I have. But it also means that a lot of the things I write about end up getting changed in the course of the show.

For example, the notes I read were for Steven Universe. I wrote Fern interacting with some of the characters, and helping fix some problems. Now that the full series has been released, pretty much everything that I had Fern help with got solved anyway. I mean, of course it did.

 


So I trashed most of those notes and started over. 

This is precisely why I don't write them down in my real "Fern notebook" until the series has been completed. Because I don't want to tear a bunch of pages out of my good notebook XD  

This is also why I haven't been able to write much in my Fern notebook for a while: Because the Fern story I started writing is not finished yet. And I'm afraid it won't be finished for a while. (The third book in "The Name of the Wind" series).

A couple days ago, I finished watching The Mandalorian. I had Fern notes for that, which were also rendered irrelevant. Except this time, I kind of expected that to happen. It was just fun planning some interactions. Fern would have a lot of fun playing with a certain character.

(Oh my god, I was horrified though when he was eating the eggs! That's terrible!)


I'm always a little embarrassed to write about Fern's stories. Considering I'm sending my character in to interfere with movies/books/series made by other people. I'm even more embarrassed to actually name those things that I send Fern into. But I'll make myself do it XD


The last place Fern has visited is "Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts." At first I just had her helping a certain lost character when he's a kid. And then giving him stuff to do when he's a prisoner. 

(Kipo spoilers below)

At first I told myself that Fern shouldn't mess with the ending, because I've also killed some of my favorite characters at the end of a story. It felt weird to interfere with a heroic sacrifice. But then I realized something. It doesn't matter about what I think about the end. Because if Fern went in there, there's no way in hell that she's going to just sit there and let him die. 

It's nice when you can turn tough decisions over to the characters. 

I guess this is the place where I should post the picture I drew. First, some context. Fern loves animals, and talks to animals, and can turn into animals. And animals usually like her, because she cares about them (and they also like her magic). Fern also loves to snuggle with animals of all sizes. And usually that's fine. In her mind, she thinks that you can snuggle with animals, but you can't snuggle with random humans. But then you have animals that speak English and wear fancy clothes. She doesn't differentiate between them and normal animals. So when she hugs animals that have human traits, sometimes they think she's pretty weird. 

 


In this picture, she's going, "Hey, Scarlemagne! Look, we have matching scars!" (They don't really match, but she thinks it's close enough)

(This would obviously be after he's started to act a little nicer).

Remember how I said I'm embarrassed to talk about Fern stories? Well, the same goes for Fern pictures. At least the pictures where she's interacting with other characters. I was nervous when I posted the picture of Hector and Fern. Now I've been agonizing about whether or not I should post this one on my art website XD  People will look at it and wonder who that weird girl is, and they won't read the description. 

But basically I'm over thinking things. I doubt more than a handful of people will look at it XD

Okay, now that I've vented, I'm going post it on my deviantart right now. Before I wimp out again.

No comments: