~*~

~*~

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Reading Update

Tom Brown's Field Guide: Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants

I hope he's posted information about additional plants - this was amazing. I want to look up more, especially since a lot of what grows by his house is different than what grows here. It's so different from other plant books I've read, with much more depth. And his own tales mixed in about each plant give it life.


One Good Deed, Baldacci

I wasn't sure what to make of it at first, because most of the characters seemed untrustworthy. But it unfolded in a really interesting way.


The Red Pony, Steinbeck

It's hard for me to read books that are so brutal to animals. Sigh. 


Journey to the West, Cheng'en

I finally finished. An old classic of epic fantasies. Though inevitabely repetitive after a while. The monk came off as kinda pathetic, always losing hope and crying about everything. But he was supposed to be a high spiritual individual?


Beauty, McKinley

A take on Beauty and the Beast.  This author has interesting books. But she always hooks her girls up with older guys. Sometimes extremely older... like by a couple hundred years.


My India, Corbett

A look at part of India by someone who worked there for a long time. 


Meerkat Manor, Clutton-Brock

Based off the hit TV show. Good information about meerkats. Great photos too! 

Ulysses, Joyce

I listened to the audiobook. Which was probably a mistake. I kept missing parts and getting lost. But it's full of wit, and is considered a great classic of literature. Basically the book chronicles one full day in Ireland. 


The Lost Metal, Sanderson

Finally finished the series! I had to wait for the last book to come out. Great characters. The stuff with all the different worlds is a strange direction though.


"Clabbered Dirt, Sweet Grass," and "Alida's Song," Paulsen

Clabbered Dirt Sweet grass was a lovely account of the seasons of growing up on a farm. 


Uncle Remus, Harris

I was excited about this book, but the Uncle Remus was... not portrayed well. I suppose that was inevitable considering when it was written, but I thought Unlce Remus would be portrayed with some respect. Despite the reputation of the Disney one, and its faults, it was way better. 


The Dawn of Yangchen, Yee

Another Last Airbender book! The author really gets deep into intrigue and politics. The books are like going deep into the Ba Sing Se arc. It's fascinating, though they're not as fun as the series. 


Pyramids, Pratchett

In case you didn't think pyramids were unusual enough.


One Hundred Years of Solitude, Marquez

Another depressing one. People build a village, one by one everyone in the family dies, and a couple generations later the village is wiped off the face of the earth. It's a classic, but I never do well with such depressing stories.


Wildlife Diva's Adventure Team, Randolph

I met the authors of the book! It's meant for younger readers, but is about protecting wild gorillas. 


Fairest of All, Valentino

It was fascinating to read about how the evil queen started out. From caring deeply about Snow White to steadily losing herself. Plus they actually developed Snow's relationship with the prince. And it still sense that she would run away from him at the well-Snow didn't want her step mother to see them together, because the queen didn't approve. I tried reading some more books in the series, but those bizarre witch sisters ended up getting most of the screen time. The other books were barely about the movies anymore. I'd been looking forward to the Beauty and the Beast one, but in the end I only liked the Snow White one. I stopped I think after Sleeping Beauty.


Journey to the Center of the Earth, Verne

Another classic! Though I don't know if they actually did get to the center of the earth? I'm surprised the professor was so okay with that. Considering his temperament through the rest of the book. 


Eating to Extinction, Saladino

A fascinating book about the rare and important foods of the world. Definitely worth reading. 


Heart of the Sea, Philbrick

The true story that Moby Dick drew from. Lots of information about sailing. And depressing accounts of people stranded at sea. It was like Unbroken.

No comments: