~*~

~*~

Monday, March 4, 2024

Wish... for a better movie

I thought I'd mention a few things about the new Disney movie, Wish. 

I went to see it in theaters, because I was really mad at myself for missing Elemental on the big screen. And to be fair, Wish was beautiful. It had a lovely art style. But it was so bland. 

The orchestrations and singers were great, but the lyrics were practically meaningless. I noticed it while watching the movie, and then I saw a Youtube video where someone put into words what I was feeling. The central song was "I wish for more." Really? I wish for more? That could mean anything. A lot of the songs felt like Lin Manuel Miranda knock-offs. The guy on Youtube said that Wish felt like it was made by AI. A bunch of Disney tropes mashed up together without human care and cleverness. And I could see his point. None of the characters had any depth. It was some of the clunkiest exposition I've seen (except maybe for Strange World, but I forgive Strange World because I liked it XD). The villain starts out as a benevolent king who suddenly goes crazy, and they make it very clear that there's no returning from his bizarre lapse in judgement - he'll be evil forever and always. 

The movie had such a great idea. You give away your wish with the hope that it gets granted, but in return you forget your wish. I would have been thrilled to see a good movie about that! What happened?

 Yeah, Wish was the epitome of great concept, but sucky execution.

No comments: