~*~

~*~

Monday, May 19, 2008

Will's Story

So, I'm going to do a summary another of my incomplete books. This one still doesn't have a title, but I've mentioned it a couple times in previus blogs. So, I'll try not to give anything away in this summary.
The story starts out at night. A full moon has yet to rise and two people- a young woman and a young man-are standing out in the middle of nowhere, waiting for someone (suspenseul, isn't it?). They're supposed to make a trade, but it goes off badly. Laney, the woman, knew that this would happen, and reveals her colors as the full moon rises. She changes into a werewolf and takes care of the guy that tried to trick them. But she still needs to get the item that she was supposed to trade for.
It's night. Erika can't sleep. She decides to go for a walk. But she stumbles upon a group of shady-looking chartacters and decides to watch them to see what they're up to. They're making a big fuss over a little item that some guy is carrying. Then one of the men sees her. A gun shot rings out ofver the city. Erika's ghost is left alone in the dark.
It's night (yet again. I'm not sure whether to make all these events happen on the same night or not-I might space them out a bit to better time the full moons for Laney's use). In a dilipaded old building, a young vampire named Draven (dray-ven) is sick of his fellow vampires. He decides to leave them and create his own life.
Will is sitting at his computer, writing an essay (more on essays later, I promise). He's sick of analyzing this stupid poem so he decides to go for a walk. He meets a woman named Laney and she tells him about a fantastic medallion-the Medallion of Ra. It's said to contain all the knowledge of magic that the planet has lost over the past vew hundred years. Laney belongs to an organization that is trying to recover the medallion and return magic to the earth. So Will decides to help, along with the ghost girl, Erika.
The Medallion of Ra is an ancient egyptian artifact (there is no such artifact. I made it up). It was transported to another part of the world and locked with three keys. These keys are hidden with other egyptian artifacts. Laney already has one, and a rival organization (this one is evil. I know it's cliche. I can't get that stupid accent over cliche!) And she has no idea where the third key is.
Laney, Will and Angela manage to steal the second stone, and then they meet up with Draven who also agrees to help (at this point, WIll knows draven is a vampire and Erika is a ghost, but he has no idea that Laney is a werewolf).
This is as far as I've gotten in the story, but I'll tell you what I have in mind for the rest at least.
They get a riddle (what good quest doesn't have a riddle?) which leads them to the old Egyptian capitol, Memphis and the third key. I'm going to have to research Memphis because I have no idea what it looks like. But I need to use the alabaster shpinx that's located there. It's going to be odd to write about a place that I've never seen...
Then they manage to find the temple where the medallion is. I don't know how I'm going to get them to this point yet... I'm making it up as I go.
Throughout the story, Laney, Will, Erika and Draven run into several Egyptian animal gods. The first one they meet is Khepri-the scarab god who is said to push the sun across the sky every day.
Then they meet Bast-the cat goddess.
Next comes Wadjet, the cobra goddess.
They have yet to meet Horus, a hawk,
Anubis, the jackal god of death,
Thoth, the babboon god of writing,
Sobek, a crocodile,
Heket, a frog,
Taweret, a hippo,
Serkut, a scorpion,
Apis, a bull,
And Sekhmet, a lioness goddess.
I'm going to do a little more research about these upcoming animal gods. I'm going to have to.
Oh just so you know, the Medallion of Ra belonged to the Egyptian sun god, Ra. That's what Ra means, for those of you not familiar with egyptian mythology. I like their animal gods, which is why they have several parts in this book.
Ooh, now I get to rant and rave about essays. The first time we meet WIll, he's writing an essay about a pitchfork. More accurately, it's about a poem about a pitchfork (but close enough). Now, (ask Ellen and Nnicole and Brian and anyone else in my class) we actually had to write this exact same essay for english class earlier this year. Now, say this to yourself. We had to WRITE AN ESSAY ABOUT A PITCHFORK. Does that not seem like a complete waste of time? No offense to my english teachers. I like my english teachers, I just don't like analyzing. Now, analysis of stories drives me absolutely crazy. I HATE analyzing! Thinking about it makes me fume. I love to read, but whenever they tell me to analyze something, I start smoking. If you want to analyze, go ahead and make up fake meanings for all the stuff authors write. BUT DON'T MAKE ME DO IT!!! Why on earth do we have to spend four years on analysis in high school when so few people will ever analyze stuff for a living? I'll never use analysis in my life unless the apocalypse comes. Why can't we learn something useful? And it doesn't help that every single book we ever read in high school I absolutely hate. Well, Shakespeare was at least tolerable, and I liked Huckleberry Finn. It was the only happy book we read (besides Shakespeare comedies).
I suck at analyzing, and I think that half of the stuff analyzed was never intended by the author. I prefer not to read too much into books. I'd rather enjoy them as they are on the surface. So, if you ever read any of my stories and think there's a deeper meaning to them (other than the obvious) then you're delusional. If I ever do anything fancy like that, I'll tell you! Mark Twain had a really good quote about that. I'll have to find it for you eventually. I love it! He's a good author. It was actually in the front of Huckleberry Finn, and we read it in school. He was very clearly telling us NOT to analyze his work (again, I'll find the quote for you) but you know what the teacher said? by telling you not to analyze, he MAKES you want to analyze. What the hell does that mean?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? And they made us analyze it anyway! Gragh!
On a side note, we did a mock trial in english freshman year where each of us acted as some famous person. I ended up being Mark Twain. I had a fake moustache, but the bottle of actors glue wouldn't open (someone even stomped on it in an attempt to get it open), so I stuck it on with glue from my gluestick. It tasted nasty. I don't suggest it. But either way, the trial sucked. I'll write more about this later. It concerns another of my fierce beliefs...

No comments: