~*~

~*~

Monday, July 19, 2010

Swords and an additional rant

Ok so I wanted to do a post, but I wasn't sure what to do it on. Kelly suggesting writing about a movie I saw the other day, but I didnt feel like it. Then I thought about writing about the Moon Dragon story Tara and I are writing, but I didnt feel like it. Then I thought, maybe I'll write about the zoo (which was really fun), but I didnt feel like it. So in my effort to post, I've decided to write about swords (in case you couldnt tell).

So I'll start with what I'm familiar with. Katanas. They're the swords that most people associate with Japan and samurai. It's one of the sharpest, if not the sharpets, blades in the world. The technique they use to make the sword super-sharp and strong is folding. The swordsmith has to fold the metal about fifteen times (too many and its too brittle, too little and its not strong enough). It's a long and grueling process and is usually very ceremonious at times.

There's a bunch of different sizes of japanese swords ranging from two inches to ridiculously huge ones. One thing that bugs me a lot though is when people wear them wrong or place them on the stands incorrectly. Technically they can flub their way through hanging or wearing a katana upside-down. The katana (everyday use) is worn blade up so it arcs like a rainbow. The tachi (a ceremonial sword) is worn blade down so it looks like a banana in a banana split. You also put them on sword stands this way, blade down for tachi, blade up for katana.

And now I don't feel like talking about katanas. So I'll talk about khopesh swords.

They were used in ancient egypt. I think they stopped making them in about 1300 BC. Anyway, the khopesh is a sickle-sword, and very cool looking. Even though it looks likes its used for bludgeoning, because it has a bulky blade, it's actually used for more slashinga attacks. I'm too lazy to post a picture of it so if you want to know what it looks like just google "khopesh" in images or something.

Oh and one more thing which has to tie in with my last post ranting about the Avatar: The Last Airbender movie. Kimonos and the like you have to wear them a specific way. I can't complain about the ties and all the ridiculous things you have to do to wear it right, but one thing is extremely crucial. The lapels. The right side goes first, with the left overlapping it. That's the right way to wear it. If you happen to put the right overlapping the left, it means you're dead. Japanese dress the dead this way, specifically because they're dead. If you watch the Avatar: The Last Airbender movie, you will notice that most everyone in that movie is wearing their shirts/kimono/robes (whatever) correctly. Everyone except for Katara. Apparently she's a corpse that's been brought back to life. Weird isnt it?

No comments: