~*~

~*~

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Rewrite

So, one thing you hear a lot about from authors is that you have to re-write your stuff. A lot. It's not uncommon for authors to have seven or more drafts of a book before it's published.
I remember when I first heard that I thought it was pretty crazy. But it makes more sense to me now.
This is partially because of what I learned in my Creative-Writing class. It was during this semester, I think, that I realized that the stuff I'd written before wasn't that good. But that's OK. It means that I've improved since then. I can look back at stuff I used to think was good, and I know I can improve upon it.
For example, Briena's first story, "Or Spirits and Demons" has recently started to bug the hell out of me because it's quite bad. Like I said, I just realized that not far into this semester. I know I'll have to re-write the whole thing to fix it. Although that probably won't be for a while. I've been working on Katani's story. Right now, I think it's good. But I'm sure I'll look back on it and find stuff to change.
Oh, when NIcole, Ellen and I got together a few weeks ago, I got Nicole to read the first chapter of Katani's story. Nicole said that my writing style was a lot better. ^-^
Yeah. Hmm. It's strange. Looking back at how bad you were just half a year ago... But like I said, It's good! I'm better now, and that's what counts.
But it makes you wonder. If you thought you were good before, and you think you're good now, then how good are you really?
Unbiased opinions are great in that. Although it can be hard for people to reading it to pinpoint exactly what's wrong if they're not professional or something. And it's no fun to get criticized or told what to improve on. I know people who kind of bristle when they're told about mistakes they've made. This is true for anything. Get over it, swallow your pride, and fix the mistake. It's the only way to improve. Criticism is good (though people being mean about your stuff is not good).

No comments: