~*~

~*~

Monday, July 9, 2012

Culture Research

So, for the past few weeks, I've been doing a lot of research on Asian culture, since Reyu, where Katani's story is set, is supposed to be somewhat Asian-based. And in my first draft, you can't really tell at all.
I've made a list of a bunch of Asian cultures, and I plan to go through them one at a time. I'm currently researching about ancient Chinese culture. I'll do Japanese next. Those are the two I know most about already. I know a bit about Tibet too.
I've definitely learned a lot, from books, internet, and friends. Crystal and Ellen, especially.
I know Reyu won't be completely be based off of real Earth cultures. For example, males won't be so dominant like they were in older China and Japan.
I'm also watching Shogun, as part of my Japanese research. Both Dad and my uncle recommended it as a good view of older Japanese culture. I gotta say... Japanese people way back then sure weren't afraid to die. Or carve up their insides. Eugh.
The one actor, Toshiro Mifune, is a famous Japanese actor who I know because Ellen recommended a couple of his movies to me - the Tsubaki Sanjuro ones. Not that he was a comedian or anything, but he had a sort of humor that I liked. When I found out he was in Shogun, I didn't think that humor would show up at all because of the mood of the series. So the sailor dance scene was certainly a surprise. A fun one.
I think I've been doing much more research than writing though...
And I leave for the writing workshop on Friday. I thought we were leaving next Friday...

Fact of the day:
If a hawk ever grabs hold of you, don't try to pull free. If the hawk feels you struggle, it will automatically hold on all the tighter - not because it wants to, but because it's such a strong reflex. The way to get away is to completely relax. Even if you have 2-inch talons digging into you.

No comments: