~*~

~*~

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Animal Rights?

So, I went to the Rodeo with Dad yesterday.
It's always a fun thing to go to.
Today I rode the mechanical bull. I haven't done that in years.
I asked the lady at the controls. She said that the hardness of the ride went up to level 10. And I rode all the way up to 7! Whoo! I felt much prouder of myself that was really necessary. Considering a bunch of people in the building were about to jump on the backs of real bulls (and I think only two guys ended up staying on the 8 seconds?).
But bull riding wasn't the only event.
Now, anyone who knows me knows that I love animals, and am completely for animal rights.
I don't think rodeos are bad for the animals. For the bucking animals (horses and bulls) they get treated great most of their lives. When their careers are over, they're put to pasture and get to have a lot of babies. All they gotta do is get an annoying belt tied around them so they can thrash around for about 10 seconds.
For the bull-dogging and calf-roping, it may seem tough on the animals, but they're not getting hurt.
It's really only the people that get hurt. There's a reason that bull riding is considered one of the most dangerous sports. And there were some close calls. Like one guy, who got kicked in the head by the bull.

So, yes. I'm all for animal rights.
But PETA is just plain freaky sometimes.
Like when they said that we should make ice cream out of human milk.
And then Dad showed me this newspaper article from a couple days ago. About how PETA thinks that Pokémon teaches kids to abuse animals, because you make Pokémon fight each other.
Freaking seriously?
Anyone who's had even a couple minutes experience with Pokémon already knows that that's garbage. Pokémon is all about living together and cooperating with Pokémon. And you don't battle Pokémon unless they want and like to battle.
PETA used the release of Black and White 2 as an opportunity to release some stupid game of their own where you beat up Pokémon trainers.
Now, again, I love animals. My animals are practically like my siblings. I spend hours every week feeding baby animals and cleaning up after animals at the wildlife center.
But PETA goes too far. If you look at the extreme of any side, you're unlikely to like what you find. If anything, they're turning people off, and just hurting the goal they say they're aiming for. This is just a desperate bid for attention.

No comments: