~*~

~*~

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Dragons: Riders of Berk

I finally caught up with all the episodes!
I've been watching the series based off How to Train Your Dragon. I didn't realize it was out until the first five or so episodes had already been released. But now I'm all caught up. Problem is, the time it plays on TV is when I'm at band. --_--
When I heard they were making a TV series based off HTTYD, I was pretty dubious. Usually when they make a series based off of something like this, it's nowhere near as good as the original movie. I had the same thoughts about the two sequels that are planned.
One of the reasons I was worried was because a while ago, I watched the HTTYD short about the Bonenapper. At the beginning, they kind of hinted that everything was perfect between humans and dragons, which felt too convenient.
Then last week I was stalling from doing my homework. I decided to finally watch the other two shorts.
I liked Gift of a Night Fury. Heheh. When I first saw the little ones, I blurted out, "They're so ugly!" And then about 30 seconds later, I blurted out "they're so cute!" Which one is true?
...
Both, kinda. They're ugly and kinda cute. (As Ellen reminded me, like baby pigeons. They're really ugly, but they behave adorably, so you must love them).
Then I watched the short about the dragon book. I liked that one because stuff about fake species fascinates me (I have a book on the creatures from Star Wars, and another for Avatar. And don't get me started on the dragon books I have).
And once I watched those two shorts, I decided to find the first episode of the series.
And before I knew it, it was past midnight. The only thing that stopped me was that I couldn't find episode seven.
And then tonight I found episodes 7 and 8. So now I'm caught up!
It's pretty darn good! And I can't always predict the endings of them either, which is always a good thing.
And they showed that things are definitely not perfect between the humans and the dragons.
Like how some of the vikings, who have been fighting dragons all their lives, are not happy about having dragons living in the village.
Or that dragons are wild animals, not tame house pets.
Or that animals will be terrified when dragons are swooping around them. When chickens stop laying and cows go dry, that's bad news for a village in the far north.
Sure, the art's not quite as beautiful as the movie, but it's pretty good (then again, I've been watching it on a little box on my computer, so I can't really tell anyway).
But I recommend! If you liked the movie, give the series a try!

Fact of the Day:
The Triple Crown, the most prestigious title in horse racing, requires that the horse win three races: the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont Stakes. It's common for a horse to win the first two races. But the third race is what really breaks them. The track for the Belmont Stakes is much longer than the others, so horses that were able to win the first two races will often not have the stamina to win the Belmont Stakes.
Only 11 horses have ever won this prestigious title, and no horse has done so since 1978.
Secretariat won the Triple Crown in 1973 by a staggering margin of 31 lengths (a single length is about 8 feet).

No comments: