~*~

~*~

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Coming Back to Life

I was thinking about something recently and thought it would be worth mentioning.
When you're reading or watching something, the death of a character can come as a real shock.
Or course, this can vary depending on the skill of the writer.
The ultimate goal is for readers to be sobbing when the character dies. I'm sure you guys have been heartbroken at the death of awesome characters that you've gotten really attached to.
It's definitely happened to me.

Except something may change that feeling.
Because when you go back to read or watch the story again, the character is alive once more, in all his/her awesomeness.
And then of course you have to watch them die again.
But sometimes when I think back on a character that died, it doesn't feel to me like thyey died.
I think it has to do with when and how the character was killed, the story they go through, and their role in it.

I'm not sure why this example stood out to me, but spoilers.
In the movie Van Helsing, Anna is the heroine, and is not one to be messed with.
Until the very end, when she's killed very suddenly.
Whenever I think of Anna, I don't think of her as being dead, because she's there so strongly for almost all of the movie, until the very end.
Plus I have seen the movie more than once, so her "revival" has come many times.
I don't really picture her as being dead.

And then we have the game Final Fantasy: Crisis Core. I have only played that once. So when Zack died, it felt very final. Like Anna, his death was at the very end, but the story continued on in other games. So his death had many other impacts in the future.
And it's so freaking sad...
Unlike Anna, Zack does feel like "someone who died."

I'll mention Les Miserables too. That's an unusual case, because almost everyone dies. So there are characters that fall on either side of this line. I don't think Jean Valjean will ever feel dead to me.
While many of the other characters feel very dead.

Now I'm curious what other authors think as they're wriging one of their characters die. Do they ever make themselves cry?

No comments: