~*~

~*~

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Favorites of Mine

As I've been writing my Ashes story, I recently realized something.
My favorite character popped out at me, about a week ago.
Lukas is one of the few characters I've had planned since the beginning of the story. He was one of the four characters that provided the original foundation for the story. The other three are Ashlyn (the protagonist), Chloe (a girl who she meets and teams up with) and Riley (the little girl who gets kidnappd, triggering Ashlyn's search).

So, it turns out Lukas is my favorite character from this story.
I'm not really sure why. Although I think I know why I just discovered that fact.
The new chapters I added let me spend more time on Lukas.
He doesn't actually show up until about half way through the story. He's the last of the three core characters, and in my first draft he got very little time. Since Chloe and Lukas show up so late, these new chapters gave me a lot more time to expand on those characters. Mostly on Lukas. Ashlyn had time to get to know Chloe, but that didn't happen at all with Lukas.
So as more of Lukas unfolded, I suddenly discovered that I really like writing him.
I don't think he was the character I would have expected to be my favorite. He's not really like the other favorite characters I have.

For example, in Katani's story, my favorite characters are Kazuhi and Fei Yen (The King and the Lieutenant). Especially writing about them together.

I was telling my Grandma about this story, and she said that there should be some kind of romance with Lukas and Ashlyn.
To wich I immediately went "noooo." I can't picture them as a romantic couple. Partially because that idea is so far from them during this story. Especially Ahslyn, who probably wouldn't think about another person in that way. At least not for a whil - not the way she has to live.
I doubt it, but for that to be considered even a bit, it would have to be in a few years when Ashlyn can pick up something like a normal life. Her "job" is sort of an anti-social way to live. Plus, she would see Lukas almost never for a few years.
Still, that all-present need for romance that people seem to expect in books. @_@
I like Ashlyn ans Lukas as friends. I can't picture them together, even a few years down the line.

I've drawn Ashlyn, but I don't really have a picture of Chloe. And I have no idea what Lukas looks like. I'd better draw them. Probably Riley too.
I started drawing Ashlyn's dogs. I've already done her main dog, Rogue (Did I post that picture?). So I need to do the others. I'm going to try to draw them in the style of the Okami warrior dogs.

No comments: