~*~

~*~

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Sitting Straight

So, whether you write or draw or work on the computer or go to school, the way you sit at your desk makes a lot of difference.
People are starting to say how sitting can be really bad for you. You need to get up and move around sometimes.
Which is definitely true.
But sitting wouldn't be nearly as bad if you sat well.
So many people hunch. They let their chest and shoulders collapse in and their neck drop down. Peopel on their smartphones do this a lot.
I used to be like that all the time. Probably because of how I worked at school desks as a kid.
And I've spent a couple years fixing it.
Now I'm a helluvalot better.
My neck still sinks forward sometimes. And sometimes I start to hunch when I'm drawing, or something. But my chest and shoulders are a lot better.

I tried to fix it for a long time, by adjusting my posture randomly during the day. But in less than a minute, I'd be back to the way I was used to standing.
What finally helped me fix a lot of it is this. Every night before bed, I'd sit and just try to relax and focus on my posture. I'd hold it for as long as I could remember. Then I'd fix it and go back to try again.
I'm still workign on my neck. I now know just how to hold it. I just need to focus on keeping it there.
(It helped me get to sleep easier too).

You should definitely try to fix your posture. It'll make you a lot happier in the long run.
It takes a long time. You ahve years of habit to fight, and muscles to change.
But I'm so happy abotu the progress I've made.

A few pointers.
Scoot your tailbone back
Roll your shoulders back
Feel for the bottom center of the front of your rib cage. Relax it down, so you're not arching your back.
Your neck should line up with your spine (that took the longest for me, since my neck always hung forward so much).

No comments: