~*~

~*~

Monday, September 28, 2015

Not in a Sharing Mood

I've been taking this one creative writing class for several semesters. I've made several friends there, and run across a couple old friends too. This is the fifth full semester I've gone.
But this is the first time that I haven't known what to turn in.
I have plenty of stuff I could turn in, actually. What I really should turn in are chapters of my Ashes story, so I can get more feedback from my grad project.
Except I don't really want to turn in the next chapter...
There are a few reasons.
First of all, since the last chapter, it is a dramatic shift in the story (the start of part two - there are three distinct parts). And it's a part that I've always thought might be the most touchy.
For example, one of my friends in the class told me she liked my writing, but that she hated Ashlyn. Which I can understand, because Ashlyn's "job," though very important, affects a lot of people. But it made me even more reluctant to turn in the next chapter. (I wonder, if she had seen Princess Mononoke if she would still hate Ashlyn...)
Plus the other chapters I've read have been over the past two semesters. Now there are a lot of new students. Only a fraction of the class has read the other chapters of my story. So they have no context for what's going on.

I think despite my attempts to explain, some people can't understand the angle I'm getting at.
"Just let people cut down the trees! Sheesh!"
"Yeah.... and then if everyone did that, there wouldn't be anything left and everyone would die. Is that really a solution?"

I knew from the beginning that this book would be touchy. But I've been working really hard to make it relatable. I guess that's just not possible for some people.
So, I don't know what to do. Should I just turn in the next chapter? Should I turn in something else? (I have plenty of stuff, but I'm not certain about turning any of that in either).
Any suggestions?

No comments: