~*~

~*~

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Languages

When I started to learn Japanese, it replaced most of the Spanish I learned in high school.
It got to the point where when I tried to think of a Spanish phrase, I would mix in Japanese words.

I wanted to go over all of my Spanish notes before the trip. But thanks to wasting all my time on exams that didn't happen, I barely got to look at a couple pages of notes.
So in Spain, I was stuck with the words and phrases I could dig out of the back of my brain.
A lot came back to me, actually. And I learned more.



And a funny thing happened. During those two weeks of thinking in Spanish, I couldn't think of how to speak in Japanese!

Wow. I guess my brain must have specific modes with languages.

Although Japanese did try to pop out a couple times. I'm pretty sure I said "demo" instead of "pero." They mean the same thing ("however", or "but") but I doubt the person I was talking to knew what the heck I was talking about.
And I kept almost saying "hai" instead of "sí."

And despite my Spain trip being over, I really want to go over all of my Spanish notes, and try to remember how to speak it better.
I also want to learn Italian now too. Heheh. My brain is so ambitious.
I taught my cousins a couple words in Japanese. It took Luca all day to stop scrambling "onegaishimasu." Heheh. Poor guy. He got so frustrated. But I think by the end, he'd finally stopped saying "onogaishimasu."

No comments: