~*~

~*~

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Reverse planning

When I write a story, I write a first draft with a general, sometimes vague idea of where I'm going.
Then when I finish, I go back and tidy it up to make everything cohesive. Even if it means going over it 7+ times.

For my fanfictions, I work it a bit differently.
I publish each chapter as I finish, keeping in mind where I'm going. There have been a couple times where I went back and edited a chapter, just to add a detail that I thought might be helpful. I've even had to change something that ended up not working in the long run.

But manga writers can't go back and edit their chapters once they've been published.
I'd always been amazed at how manga writers can work with only one chapter at a time,. What if they ever need to go back and fix something to make it cohesive?

Bakuman answered the question. At least for certain stories/writers.
They work backwards from the way I'm used to. Instead of going back to fix things, they bring old details forward. They go back through their work and pick out little things, then expand on those details in later chapters.

It makes total sense.
And it's fascinating to me sine it's so different than how I work.
I don't think I could work like that, even in my fanfics (since even those are planned out more or less beginning to end).
I can't imagine working on a story, never knowing when it would end XD
Manga people are pretty amazing.

No comments: