~*~

~*~

Sunday, December 11, 2016

The Shifting of Kenshin

As I've said before, Kenshin is my favorite character ever.
Or, he was. Now he's tied with Garnet.
I recently realized that both of them are rather similar. They're both wise, and they kick butt in a fight. But they also make me laugh a lot.

Does that mean I have a type? For my favorite character, at least.

The confusing thing about Kenshin though is that there are several versions of him.
I only really like the Kenshin from the Original manga, and from the first live action movies.


The Kenshin from the anime is both too smart about fights, and too dumb about people.


The Kenshin from the OVA episodes is moody and depressing. There's nothing fun about him.


And now there's a new Kenshin manga, Rurouni Kenshin Restoration, made by the original artist.


Now the artist created my favorite character. I want him to do well. But I haven't cared for anything he wrote after the original Rurouni Kenshin. All his other works felt very typical. And this new version of Kenshin is no exception It took away the funny parts of Kenshin that I loved. Like that "oro" face.
I'm sure Watsuki had his reasons for rewriting Kenshin. But it didn't add anything new for me.

I just finished reading it today (After finally discovering a way to order things from distant library systems. I could never find the last half of it until a few weeks ago).
In the manga, Watsuki about how he had changed the characters in this version.
And most of what he said disappointed me. The characters were already great. If they're not broke, why try to fix them? Although I say that because I didn't care for the changes.
He said he wanted to get more into Kenshin's thoughts. But there wasn't anything revealed here that we couldn't already pick up from the original manga.
And for Kaoru, he said that he made her talk less tough, and instead had her wave her arms and chase people around. Really? That's... strange.

I guess I just wanted to talk about this in terms of what makes up my favorite characters.

In other news, I saw Doctor Strange yesterday. Most of the superhero movies have felt the same to me recently, so I didn't think I'd care for this one much.
But I liked it quite a bit!
Usually I don't care about special effects to much. I'm more interested in characters, world, and story. But I was very impressed with the effects. I think Doctor Strange and Avatar are the only two movies I would recommend because of their effects. But also for other reasons.
It's funny hearing Sherlock without the British accent. It threw me off for a while.
There's one scene where Strange has his shirt off. The girl next to me went "Oooh" in response to that. For the next minute I was shaking with silent laughter, because of her reaction.

No comments: