~*~

~*~

Monday, June 8, 2020

Library

For many many years (like back to high school and middle school) I've had about three shelves worth of books I need to read.
This started because I had a really awesome bookstore nearby. We'd take books in and get credit, and buy more books. So I could always replenish my supply. Then my Grandma got rid of a ton of books, and I kept a full shelf worth that I wanted to read. From then on, the number of books never decreased for many years. Like ten, or something. I'd read books, get rid of them, and get new ones at about the same rate so I always had about 3 shelves to read.
Even when I didn't try to buy more, people would give me more.
Then my favorite bookstore moved away. I could do a day trip there, but I haven't gone yet. I do want to go though.
But anyway, my intake of books slowed way down after that.
This was still many years ago.
And within the last couple years, I've steadily whittled down my number of stockpiled books. I've got about 2 shelves now (I'd have a shelf less, but Grandma just got rid of a ton more books, and I kept half a shelf worth).

Anyway, all this is to say that I don't really need to check out books from the library. At least, not novels. I still check out tons of references books (and manga).

But now almost all of the books I have are nonfiction.
The number of really good books I've read in the last couple years have all been nonfiction. Though that's mostly because my standards for fiction are very high. It takes a lot to get me excited about fiction novels.
I have a general system where I read a nonfiction book, then two fiction books. And repeat.
But as I said, I'm running out of fiction. And the fiction I do have is not in the genre I write.
I need to read the genre I write, to keep up to date.
At the beginning of this year, I was just starting to check out novels from my library.

And now of course the library has been closed for a couple months because of the pandemic.
My reading list did not line up well with reality.
Sigh.
It's a very very minor problem, but I do hope libraries open soon. There's a bunch of reference books I want too, for Arrin's story.

Okay, some more zoo photos! Here's my favorite tall girls! (Tough one of these is the tall guy)





(I didn't see the bird until I I put this one on my computer. Perfect timing!)






These last three are of my favorite girl. The sassy teenager! The running one is her too. (Though I do also love the sweet granny. Not to say that I don't love all of the tall girls!)

No comments: