~*~

~*~

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Art

The De Young Museum. An art museum near my house with a fine collection of art.
Some of its pieces include ancient egyptian art:


Vincent Van Gogh:


Monet:


Ancient mural fragments:


And Andy Goldsworthy designed the entrance to the museum. He's an awesome artist and I'll probably end up putting some pictures of his art on my blog. These picture doesn't really show you what he did, and me trying to describe it probably won't do it justice. But he does everything my hand and with natural sources and it takes him a very long time. He made a crack run through the cobble stones on the floor and all the bigger stones in it. Again, it doesn't sound impressive, but the amount of work he put into this must have been amazing.
Here's some pictures:




And though the entire building looks like a block of rust, the view from the tower is fantastic:


Now through the whole museum's art collection, there's some pretty spectacular stuff. And yet this is the mascot they chose:

...

.....

......

........

..........

.............

...............



A giant safety pin. Is that supposed to be impressive? Why, out of all their collection, do they pick this STUPID thing to put in their garden and on the front of their pamphlet? It's a giant safety pin. It's not art. Anyone could think of that, even if not everyone would think that it was worth building. WHY DID THEY CHOSE THAT AS THEIR MASCOT???????????
Honestly, I'll never understand modern art.

PS, These pictures don't belong to me. I got most of them from the De Young website, but others I stole from the net. Sorry if they belong to you! I keep forgetting to show where they came from. I'll probably get arrested some day for stealing pictures from the internet.

No comments: