~*~

~*~

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

English?

I wanted to write "parle vu francois" or "spreken du dutsch" as the title, but as you can probably tell, I can't spell them.
So yeah. This post is about languages.
So, the people on Magic-Earth and Soreina speak english. They have interesting accents, admittedly, but they speak english. But they're on different planets you say. They've evolved differently from us, you say. How could they know english? BECAUSE IT'S EASIER.
Notice Star Wars. It's a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, and yet they speak english (along with a bunch of other cool languages-but primarily english).
So, Magic-Earth and Soreina each speak the same language across the planet. They weren't isolated as we were on our planet, so each of them adopted a planetary language. I could have chosen not to specify what this language is, but they meet people from our planet and they can understand each other. Which proves that they all speak the same language. In this case, english.
And no, I didn't write the books in a different language. That would require too much research for me and my readers.
But we really need a planetary language that isn't as freaky as english. English is just weird. We don't have enough vowels. the letter c serves pretty much no purpose, as does x. And there are a few consonants that we should use letters for like ch and sh and the ge sound in "mirage," ex. I started designing an alphabet for a new language, but that's as far as I've gotten so far. Maybe I should post it?

No comments: