~*~

~*~

Monday, February 9, 2009

Fast or Slow?

As a general rule, I'll read anything as long as:
A. It's written well
B. It has a good plot.
It can be sci-fi, fantasy, nonfiction, ex.
I don't care how well it's written if the plot sucks. This was the problem with all my hight school books (almost all of them anyway). And a really good plot can be completely destroyed by a bad author. Usually the book's better, but there have been a few cases where I LOVE the movie and HATED the book.
But more recently, books (and movies too) have been getting more fast paced. You'll hear this comment from older people. Old books don't have a lot happening plot wise, but they can be written really well. New books have so much stuff happening that some people claim you can't tell how good the author (or director) really is. Now, I happen to love exciting books. And I like detail. But I don't like TOO MUCH detail. I've said this already. Some of the older books (maybe some new ones too. I don't know) spend an entire chapter describing one little thing. I want to picture what the author has in mind, but I don't want them to go to far. At some point you start thinking "okay, we get the picture. Can we get back to the story please?"
So what's better? Slow or fast books? Well, that definitely depends on opinion. Slow books can be good, but they can be boring too. Fast books are usually more fun, but not always as "deep." I think I prefer fast. I'm reading a slow book right now and an incredibly small amount has happened and I'm already over half way through it. It spends a bit too much time describing certain things and makes it not quite as exciting as it could be.
Yeah. Just thought I'd bring that up.

No comments: