~*~

~*~

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Disney

I found this video on Youtube about when Princess Mononoke was released in America. Disney bought the rights to do the english dub before they knew that Princess Mononoke isn't really a movie for little kids. One of the people from Disney asked Miyazaki if he thought that people would be able to understand Lady Eboshi: someone who isn't truly good or evil, but somewhere in between. Seriously? You can't understand someone who is only partly "evil?"
And then when I started thinking about it, Disney really doesn't have any gray areas. There's the good guys, and the evil guys. In pretty much every one of their movies, there's a definite evil person. Yeah, good vs. evil has yielded some really good movies. A lot of my favorite movies are like that. But that's not really realistic. Most people don't go doing things because they like being evil. They usually at least have motives (Well, I guess most villains have motives: money and power, ex). That's what's cool about Miyazaki. His antagonists aren't really evil (except for Musca). They all think they're doing the right thing.
It was weird that the Disney couldn't understand people that aren't totally evil. They should make a movie that doesn't have a purely evil person. It's a good thing to have.
Ellen and Nicole really want me to write a really crazy/evil person. I definitely will. It's not like I'm trying to avoid it. I think that would be good for me to try. But the stuff I'm currently writing doesn't have that yet.
Well, that's not true. Ganondorf's about to show up in my Zelda fanfic, and we just fought Giovanni in my Pokémon fanfic. But I'm talking about one of my own stories.
In random news, I've finally discovered my three favorite Disney cartoons: Pocahontas, The Lion King, and Beauty and the Beast.

No comments: