~*~

~*~

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Side Characters

Now on to actual writing stuff. I've been putting this post off forever.
Actually, in the first semester of college, Nick said something in a speech he gave during class that I've thought about a lot since. He said that side characters are often a lot more interesting than main characters.
Which is often true, mainly in the books and movies that are popular in America. The characters that support the main character are often less normal and more interesting. Somehow that doesn't seem right.
It's very hard to get me to dislike characters. Unless they're blatantly unlikeable, I usually don't dislike them. Even if they're not that interesting, or they're "too nice" or something. I know Nicole has some characters that she really loathes that weren't intended to be loathed by the author. Nicole, I don't think it's good for you to hate a fictional character so much, considering they're not characters that want to take over the world or eat someone's heart or anything weird like that.
And another thing. This speech was before Ellen and Nicole got me into a bunch of anime. This was still back when I only knew Ghibli, Pokémon, and Zelda. And in the list of my absolute favorite characters, they're pretty much from anime/manga. Anime seem to have a lot richer characters than most books or movies you get around here. There are good ones, don't get me wrong. But anime have really interesting ones. And all my favorites too. Like Midna, Ling, InuYasha, and Kenshin. Even Zuko is anime-inspired.
But Anime do a good job of making the main characters interesting. And a lot of manga show the popularity polls. Sometimes the main character is the most popular. I think that's true for Ichigo.
So, make good side characters. But don't make your main character normal.
I need to fix Katani in this respect. I haven't a very good job of portraying him so far.

1 comment:

Nicole S said...

Love and hate are two sides of the same coin. If I can't hate a character, how can I be expected to love another one? I think it's healthy to be able to hate a fictional character.
And even if I hate a character that wasn't meant to be hated, what's wrong with that? Not everybody loves a character that meant to be loved because some people don't happen to value the characteristics that character represents. In the same way, I happen to hate certain bits about certain characters simply because that reflects what I don't like. Maybe those traits don't make a character evil, but they don't make it perfect, either.