~*~

~*~

Monday, January 21, 2013

Les Miserables

I finally saw Les Miserables today. I've been looking forward to it for ages.
Maaaan. Never ever have I heard so much sniffling in a theater before. Nothing even close to that much.
TT^TT
(Another brief note about audiences. Last week, Dad and I went to see Monsters Inc in 3D. There was a little girl behind us who made sounds EXACTLY like Boo. It was hilarious and adorable).
I first saw the play Les Miserables either at the end of middle school or beginning of high school. My friend was a background character. I remember that he was one of the kids during the revolution. And he was also a drunk guy in the bar scene. And it was absolutely hilarious to watch him sloshing his mug around and singing and swaying drunkenly.
Then I saw the first movie (the non-musical one). And I liked that too. But I'd forgotten how much I liked it, until I saw it on TV a couple months ago.
So I was excited to hear that they were releasing a film of the musical. I wish there were more musical films. Because if you can't make it to Broadway, it's kind of impossible to find good quality versions of these plays to watch (like Wicked). And even if the play is playing near you, it's well over $100 to see it (But we're going to see Wicked this weeeeek! Wooohoo! I shall report on it). I guess they're afraid no one will pay that much to see a play if there's a film version available.
From when I first saw the play, I liked Jean Valjean a lot. And in the first movie too. He's a great character.
And then before the movie came out, I discovered that the author of the original book (which I need to read) is the author of Hunchback of Notre Dame. I listened to that book on tape last semester. Gotta say. Nooooooothiing like the Disney cartoon. I warn you. This next sentence contains spoilers. Everyone good dies. EVERYONE. Except the goat. Seriously. And Esmerelda is really stupid... Phoebus should have died, if anyone.
So when I discovered that he wrote Les Miserables, I got very scared. Did they kill even more people in the book? I went and looked up a summary. And sure enough (Spoilers unless you've read the book or seen this movie, because it's not in the first movie. I don't think it's in the play either). Jean Valjean dies.
What?! Noooooooooooo!!! How could you kill him! Stupid author. He's such a great charater! Stop killing everybody!
TT^TT
The little girl Cosette was amazing. And Eponine was great too. I didn't remember her at all, since she's not in the movie and it was so long ago that I saw the play. But I liked her.
And I'd seen the actor that did Marius too. I didn't actually like the series he was in. But I liked his character a lot. At first, when he was a kid. I stopped caring about him after he got older though. But I'd like to see him in more stuff. Except that may be because I realized something today. The actor kind of reminds me of Arith. If Arith were older. Heheh.

No comments: