~*~

~*~

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Music and Voices

I have so many books piled up that I need to read (many of which are stacked in my closet since there's no room on my bookshelf. I need another bookshelf.) So I've been listening to several books on tape recently.
Most of the time, the people reading them do a good job. But there were a couple that I listened to that were just plain bad. Like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. The guy had a really obnoxious nasaly voice, and he increased the obnoxious levels on several of the voices.
And then the one I just listened to was annoying too. He just sounded so smug and pleased with himself that I wanted to smack him.

Speaking of listening to things. I got the (abbreviated) soundtrack to Les Miserables. I wonder when the full soundtrack will come out. I've been listening to it over and over (editing out a few songs). It's been a very long time since I've gotten obsessed with an entire soundtrack. Selected songs from a soundtrack, yes. But not one where I go through almost the entire CD repeatedly. And now I have two to obsess over. Because I've gotten out the Wicked soundtrack too. Seeing the play made me realize that I liked a lot more of the songs than just Defying Gravity and For Good.
For Les Mis, I like all of the singers too. Which is also great, because there's often a few that I'm not crazy about. But they're pretty much all nice to listen to (and so is Elphaba!).
One Day More. Wow. That song. All the different voices and all of the melodies overlapping. It's amazing. I've played that one over and over.
And the last song... Sooo sad. TT^TT

And speaking of music, one of our new band songs tonight called for 12 percussionists. And we only have about five. There have been a couple occasions before where they needed to recruit other band members to play percussion. But this is the first time I've done it. So I'm playing bass drum for one song.
My appreciation for percussionists has gone up. If you lose your place looking at that music, there's NO WAY to find your place again. At least I don't have any 30 measure long rests. I play pretty constant.
The vibrations of the drum go up my arm make it feel all funky. Heheh.
It's fun to pound on a giant drum.

No comments: