~*~

~*~

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Trains

So, yesterday I was riding the train to class.
I noticed that our train was honking, and slowing down in an unusual place. Then it came to a stop.
Our train hit and killed someone.

Talk about being freaked out.
I guess it must have been suicide? Because it was in the middle of 2 stations, 2 miles from either of them. And it was a part of the track that was elevated and fenced off. No one could have ended up there by accident.
I wonder if they found out anything about it.

And then we were stuck in the train for over an hour as they got the body out from under the train and... I don't know. I have no idea why it took so long.
It was sort of fascinating to see all the different reactions.
Lie everyone started calling people, saying that they were going to be late. And there were calls in Chinese and German, and another language that I couldn't catch.
And then three guys sitting in the seats nearby started chatting. They obviously never met before, but they talked about school and work and stuff. I like it when people get to know complete strangers. We tend to not care enough about the people around us. And it's fun to talk and laugh with a person you don't know.
And there was a group of guys that were goofing off, teasing about why it took so long to get the train moving. They drew the conclusion (jokingly) that the medics had to try to revive the dead guy because he wasn't "dead dead," he was just "dead."
I actually could have gone to the next car down and seen the body, but I decided not to.
--_--
Apparently some people were taking videos of it...

So, lots of various reactions.
And it amazed me how "commonplace" the whole thing seemed.
"Yeah, another guy got killed by the train."

It's strange to me.

Finally the train moved on to the next station and kicked everyone out. So Dad picked me up and I drove to school instead.

The conclusion: I left before 12:30 to get to a 3:00 class. I was half an hour late.
And my story as to why I was late was shocking to my classmates. They seemed as shocked as I had been. Or, at least they showed their shock more than the people on the train did.
In America, one guy can mess up the schedules of a few hundred people who were relying on the train. Everyone was probably delayed by 2 hours or more.
If that delay had saved a life instead of taking a life, I would have been happy. But not the case. I still wonder why it took so long though.

No comments: