~*~

~*~

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Character Poems

During my creative writing class this semester, someone did something that I thought was worth imitating.
It was a way of writing an acrostic poem.
An acrostic poem is when you write a word vertically down a page, and then each letter is the beginning of a line of a poem.

For example, "Blue":

Bright vast ocean expanse
Light glimmering the wave tips
Underneath peaceful cool.
Every moment brilliant

I only spent about three minutes on that XP
So don't critique it.

But what the person in class did was to have the word be the name of his character, and the poem was about that same character.
I wanted to try it too. Unfortunately I wanted to try it for all of my characters, and I have dozens of them...
But I did make a list of characters that I thought would make interesting poems.
I've done about four so far.
And as the topic, I always seem to choose the troubled emotions that the characters have, or try to hide... Maybe because it helps me get deeper into the character's head? Or maybe because it's more interesting that writing the characters outward appearance, which is usually what I'm stuck with for a story that follows a single person.
I'm not sure if I'll post any of my poems, but I might end up writing more.
You guys should try it! They're fun to do.

No comments: