~*~

~*~

Friday, February 5, 2016

Reading Update

Whoa it's been almost a year since I last talked about the books I've been reading. I made some posts on individual books (Uglies, Bloody Jack, The Name of the Wind, Seraphina), but most of the others have gone un-mentioned.

So, let's go through my list and see what's worth talking about (Not everything is worth talking about...).

I finished reading the Seventh Tower series. Overall, it was a cool series. Lots of creative stuff. I may have been hoping for a more spectacular finale. It was a little bit similar to his Keys to the Kingdom series, in some ways. But I think I did like the Keys series more.

I read a book by one of my teachers. Maybe I should post about it. I don't think I have yet. It's called The Disagreement. I don't have too many books that I know the authors of.

I read Eona, the second book after Eon. But is seemed mostly drama? And romancey angsty stuff. Not my thing.

I started Reading Cirque du Freak. I liked the manga, and the first book was good. I'll be reading more.


Wow. Almost everything that's worth talking about, I already gave individual posts to.
Hmmm. Lots of books for school. Not many of the school books are interesting enough to talk about, but I did post about one of them last semester (Thirteen Reasons Why).
There are a lot of nonfiction books too, almost all about animals. Heheh. Born Free is one of them. The ones I thought were worth reading I put on my "To Watch" list. I don't really have anything to discuss about them though.
So while the list of books I read last year is very long... I don't care enough about most of them to mention them.

There were a couple big disappointments. I've mentioned the book Ship Breaker. How it's the closest thing I've found so far to my grad project. SO I read a couple more books by that author.
...
No. Turns out Ship Breaker was a young adult book, and most of what he writes are not young adult. Waaay too graphic for me. Except I was unlucky enough to sign up to read one of them for class, so I had to read it all the way through, whether I liked it or not. At the very least, they provided material for the literature view portion of my grad project.

I read The Count of Monte Cristo.

Ooh, okay and I'll end with probably the coolest one on this list. It's called Neverwhere, by Niel Gaiman. He's one of the big fantasy authors right now. We talked about him in my scifi/fantasy class last semester. And I recently discovered that he wrote some Doctor Who episodes. Like the one with the human Tardis. I like that one, because I'm fascinated with things that look human, but really aren't. You can probably tell (usually they're animal humans).
Anyway. Niel Gaiman has a darker and creepy style, but at the same time it's isn't too much (even for me. I can be sensitive about certain things. But he does just enough without going too far). It was a little bit like The Keys to the Kingdom, in the strange shadow world that exists just next to ours. A very cool world. Good characters, and the ending was good too. I didn't expect the direction it took.

No comments: