~*~

~*~

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Shifter Tidbits

So, time to explain some of my inspirations for Shifter. Some LAZY people are supposed to be reading it (Ellen) but they haven't yet.
Any way, here we go. This will make a whole lot more sense if you've read this story, but as if this moment, only a few people on the planet have. Me and my parents.
It starts with Halloween. I actually did have a costume like Katy's. And I stole Ellen's cat costume, which she also wore last year. And that pendant I described belonged to my grandma. I should put up a picture of it. Maybe I will.
Either way, I don't know about you, but all those bright lights mixed with night darkness really make me feel like I'm in the middle of a dream. And we went into this one haunted house with these horrible blinding strobe lights. There was a guy in a scary costume hiding, but I saw him before he got a chance to leap out at us (I've seen enough America's Funniest Home Videos to be fooled by something like that).
This description of the rabbit Ian perfectly fits my rabbit Alaska. She comes when you call, she gives kisses, and she goes absolutely berserk for banana.
Ah. Here's the part of the story that came before everything else. This little bit I'm about to describe was the spark for this story. I thought "what if your pet wasn't really what you thought it was?" And I came up with the quote, "Don't worry. You're not hallucinating. I'm a shape-shifter." And the whole story unfolded around that. It took me a while to find a plot though. It doesn't really work if your story doesn't have a plot. But I've gotten good at improvising. I did it a lot during this story. I had no idea what they would do between meeting Reein and meeting the ozorehs.
Wouldn't you like a solar-powered hover bike?
By the way, has anyone ever changed their name on you? Reein changes from Ian to Reein. That's not too bad. But when I learn a name and someone changes it, I still call them by their old name. It takes me long enough to learn one name, and then I have to learn it again. Sigh. Like I learned Jenny's name, then she changed it back to her chinese name Ye. And I learned one boy by his nickname, and then he started calling himself by his real name once his nickname was stuck in my head.
Ah. The part in the ice cream shop. I asked Ellen what it was like to get brain freeze. She didn't know, but she happened to be eating ice cream at the time. So she kindly offered to get brain freeze and tell me what it was like. So she swallowed a huge bite of ice cream and got an instant headache. Thanks for your support, Ellen.

1 comment:

E said...

Hee hee I remember that bit with the ice cream. :D Now I'm hungry.