~*~

~*~

Monday, June 7, 2010

Manga vs. Books

I just had an epiphany for the ending scene of my mask book! It's been bugging me for a while because I didn't know what the heck to do with the climax! So, I was sitting, staring at the computer screen for a couple minutes, and all of a sudden, BLINK! There was the idea!
I thank my guardian spirits, and even my imaginary friends! Hahah! My Idea Spirits.
Oh, at fanime, I got a REALLY good idea for a story too! As usual, I'm really excited to write it, but there's so much I'm working on right now that I won't start anything until I finish up some stuff.
So, what I'm currently working on: The Mask Story.
My Pokemon Fanfic
My Zelda Fanfic
And once I finish "Under the Masks," I'm going to need to do some MAJOR editing one it.
And then (Or at the same time) I need to start typing up Shadow Split. Since I finished Shadow Split, I haven't written more than a few solid pages of story. I don't mean notes, but actual text. It's convenient to have a binder that I carry with me when I'm writing, but to hand write a whole story that's over 200 pages... and then to have to type it up and edit it, well, that's just too much. I'm not going to hand write any more stories like that anymore. It's too much. If I'm really inspired, I'll write a few pages. That's find. Just not 200.

SOO, to the title of my post.
A couple days ago, I started thinking. And I blame this entirely on Ellen and Nicole, who started it! Manga and Anime. First of all, what is it that gets people so hooked on them? Well, anime aren't like a solid movie. Since they come in episodes, they keep you going and into the whole thing for a much longer period of time than any movie or series of movies. And unlike a lot of american cartoons, a lot of anime follow a general plot as opposed to being entirely episodic. Also, anime tend to have really awesome characters! That goes for manga too. Manga, instead of "competing" with movies, "compete" with books. Now, books come in series too. But they don't have pictures with them! (I've heard that the idea for american comic books was taken from manga! Hahah!)
So, like I said, a couple days ago, I started thinking. Writing books, and writing manga. Manga can be so enthralling! They're so different from normal books. For a moment, I thought that manga would be a better thing to work on than books. I should get into that instead of writing. I sort of mentally gave myself a smack . Of course not! First of all, I would NEVER have the patience (nor likely the skill) to illustrate an entire thing like that. And the only real writing that is shown in the manga is the dialogue. The rest is shown in the images.
But more importantly, I really LOVE to just write! To try to place my images and thoughts down for others to see and be touched by. Yes, good manga can be really good. But they're not books. Books are good too! They cna br great! And they also allow the reader some degree of freedom to let their imagination roam.
I like to write books. That's what I'm sticking with.
However, if anyone ever wanted to turn my stories into manga, that would be awesome too! Assuming they did a good job. Like Ellen, who started doing a couple of pages of "Moon Dragon" in manga form! You should do more of that!
And the manga version of Maximum Ride was really good too.

No comments: