~*~

~*~

Monday, April 1, 2013

Naming on Soreina and Magic-Earth

Wow. For the first time ever, the front page of my blog has been dominated not by me!
Even though Crystal claims to be a fungus eating my blog, I'm excited to see all those posts there that I didn't write!! :3
Man, I haven't been reading enough recently. There are 2 books I've been stuck in the middle of for months and longer. I finally finished one of them a while ago. So now I gotta finish the other one. I'm getting more into it now, so that's good. My "book list" has been dominated by books on tape for about a year now. --_-- Bad Tara! REad more real books! You have more than 3 shelves of them to read!
I've been neglecting my poor fanfic too. And the next chapter is the big battle! It will be really exciting to write. I'll write it after I finish the chapter of Katani that i've been working on.
I've been plodding along on Katani's story. It's taking so lone because I'm working on the chapter where Katani and his friends are introduced. And I'm trying to have their dialogue show them, while also setting the scene. But at the same time, I can't give too much info. @_@ Crazy juggling stuff. And I haven't been giving it enough time as it needs. It's been getting done it bits and pieces. I really need to just plow through it. I'm almost done though. Actually, come to think of it, I think I am pretty much done with the dialogue part.

I've gotten 3 separate notices telling me that I didn't get into the grad program.
...
Why?
Do you really need to tell me 3 times? Are you trying to rub it in, or something?

Ok

I'm done complaining.
Crystal was explaining some of her naming system for her stories. And I've been planning to do something similar to that. Since now I've pretty much got my cast of characters completely named.
My method of naming is really haphazard. Especially when looking at the system Crystal designed.

Crystal was saying how hard it is to name a world.
Which is no doubt true.
I have Magic-Earth and Technology-Earth.
And for Soreina, I think I named that planet when I started working on the Arith and Saleera story with Ellen. I wrote down about 10 words the I liked and showed them to Ellen. She picked "Soreina." So that became the name of my world.
Isn't it so sophisticated?

And in general, most of my characters' names consist of words I like. Some of them are real names. And for most of these, I try to choose them with a meaning that is relevant. I did that a lot with the names from Katani's story.
And then there's names that I just make up randomly. Sometimes they're names that I twisted around from an existing word (Like Katani - I stole that from Katana. I think I did that before I got into anime and Japanese stuff. I just liked the word Katana). And sometimes they're just random word-ish things without any real ties to any real word.
(Man this blog post already feels unorganized. I'm tired and my brain is misbehaving. But I still need to write a letter of protest. Which reminds me... I completely forgot to write my application for that internship. I'm so stupid).
So yeah. The names in Katani's story are mostly patched-together Asian names. I wanted them to be mixed around from all sorts of cultures. My patchwork of cultures seems to bug Ellen and Crystal. Plus I also add my own things to it. But it's no fun to steal things directly. I want to mold it to my world. Anyway, I wanted my naming to reflect the blend of cultures. Especially since most of the story takes place in the capital, where the cultures are blended in a big melting pot. The other provinces of Reyu are more similar to specific countries from our world, but still not exactly the same. The capital also has a lot of influence from the countries around Reyu. So there are non-Asian names too. And there's my own random-word names (mainly used for the dragons).
Ugh. Usually I try to organize my blog posts, but I think I'll just leave this one all over the place. I can't focus on organization right now.
Before I blow up my blog by accident, a couple things about family names.
In Reyu, the family names comes before the "first name."
And for now, I'm going to use the following naming rule in both of my worlds. That doesn't mean that absolutely everyone on both planets uses it, but it is a common guideline. When two people want to get married, they need to decide beforehand which last name they want to take. For example, someone who is marrying someone "better off" might want to drop their old name and take up the "better-off" name. Or a person who isn't on good relations with their family might drop their old name and take their spouse's name. Or if a name is well-known, a person might take it. If there's a disagreement about which name to take, the couple might need outside help.
People don't usually take both last names unless there's a really good reason. Taking both names usually just happens if both names have a lot of influence. This is mainly just done by "rich, powerful" people. These extra names can help to show their ties to other important families. Some families go a bit overboard with "collecting" names. Most families just stick to a few names. Kings and Queens don't usually do this, because it might make some important families feel "left out" (and their family trees are pretty well recorded anyway). Direct members of the royal family will probably have three main names - their family name, their given name, and the royal name of their country (the one for the ruler of Reyu is Reyanin). Sometimes the family name will remain the same for many generations. But sometimes they may change the name during marriage, if for example, there are bad feelings associated with a certain name because of a bad ruler. Or if a ruler wants to distance himself from preceding generations, for some reason.
But even families with a lot of names usually choose one family name to introduce themselves by on informal occasions. The longer strings of names are usually saved for special introductions and formal occasions and such.

No comments: