~*~

~*~

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Resisting Drag

It's something that has been bugging me for a long time. Throughout Katani's story, he's mainly just dragged along. He makes the one big decision to try out for the GRA, yes. But everything after that is decided for him. What team he's on, what dragon he gets, and what missions he goes on.
Crystal brought it up a couple days ago, which is good because then I actually had to address it. It was on my "check later list," along with several dozen other things for my story. I'm getting through it very slowly, but a lot of it I haven't reached in my edit yet. The rest is really stuff that I should be addressing. Get it together, Tara!
This is something that I'll need to address throughout the entire story, so it was good to figure some of it out before I got any farther. Or at least I hope I figured it out. It might me tricky to pull off, it it works at all. I'll see how it goes.
In what I've written so far Katani, only really makes one big decision - and that is to try out for the GRA. Which isn't really that big of a decision. It got me thinking. Maybe that's why I'm having so much trouble bringing Katani out when I write. He gets dragged along on things.
In my first draft, he mainly came out as a way for the reader to see what was going on. The other characters overshadowed him completely. I thought I was getting better at bringing Katani out in the story. He's working a little better this time, but still not nearly as much as I hoped. I think I might know how to fix that though.
So, I'm gonna finish re-writing chapter 6, and then go back and try to fix up Katani in chapters 2 and up. Sigh. Just when I got through them. (Sob. Re-writing again. Get used to it. It's probably gonna happen several more times).
While I'm fixing Katani, I'll see if I can make get dragged around less. Although that probably won't show up as much until later. I might have him dragged around for a little while before he decided to get out of it.
I'm also about to get into the introductions of the Red Team guys, and the dragons, and the the fight with Garrett. Which, like everything else, needs to be trashed and redone.
Hmm. Now that I think about it, this post feels kinda pointless.
I'll pretend like I'm gonna turn this into a lesson! Hah!
Character-driven stuff is usually much more interesting. Basically, the desires of the characters should drive the story. If your characters are just dragged around whether or not they want to, it's not very interesting. Let's see how well I'm able to fix it. Because otherwise I might have to redesign the entire system of the GRA. I have no idea how I'd do that.

Fact of the Day: If you have a rabbit (or small animal), vinegar is a great way to get encrusted pee off of the bottom of the cage. Just let it sit for a couple minutes and it all dissolves away.

No comments: