~*~

~*~

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Never give up, never surrender

Pffft, Tara if you want 10 blog posts a month go do it. You've also got some people to help out if you need it, don't be afraid to ask.

I've got a post today that will at least guarantee one additional post a month, because...

I was inspired

I just returned from teaching English in Japan for a year. And while some of them were your average students and some were lazy.
Some were just plain amazing.
Hence, why I was inspired.
I have seen students take out loans to learn English. Students who wake up at four am just to study. Students who study for five to six hours a day because they like to study English.
It's amazing.
Most of these students have a higher understanding of English than I do for Japanese (and I've been studying Japanese for over 20 years technically).  These people are amazing.  There are eight year old kids who speak better English than I speak Japanese.
To be honest, I really didn't study all that much when I was taking Japanese classes. For which I am now deeply ashamed.
But!
I've resolved to improve myself. To learn new things, to really polish the skills I have, to go out and have an adventure.
To those who know me they know I drop projects like hot potatoes.  Not only that if I'm tired of doing something and it's half done I throw my hands up in the air and say "Meh... good enough."
And for that reason it feels like I haven't accomplished much. I can say I've done a lot of things, but I haven't really accomplished them.
But that's all in the past now.
Like I said 'I was inspired'.
I'm not going to try to inspire you. There's no point. You'll be inspired when you are inspired, I can't make that happen.
But I will however provide a monthly update on some project that I'm doing. The projects may vary from month to month, but I'm going to finish them!

The projects are like this
Renaitia story
Super complicated romantic drama story (which may or may not turn into a steampunk thing, and not be so dramatic)
Hello World (android story)
When Worlds Collide (sci-fi/survival horror/fantasy story)
Straeza (adventure/fantasy/comedy story)
A futuristic story about gangs (subject to change a bit, but it's mainly a fighting/action/slife of life/comedy story)
Saecaria's music video
Getting my portfolio together
Improving my art
Making my own language
Improving my Japanese
learning either korean, chinese, or spanish
Get stronger (physically, mentally is good too)
(re)learn to program

Here's how I'm gonna do it
I've just finished working at a full time job, I've got nothing but free time. I'm going to use the time I would have used working at my job to work on these projects. But I can work on any of these projects, so long as I'm working on them.  From nine to five I will work (practically) non-stop and get things done. Of course I have other things I need to do, like getting ready for grad school. And naturally the important things come first. But! I will work on these things. And in time I'm sure I'll remember old projects that I have stashed away somewhere, and I will add them to this list.
I'll assign points to each project, a quest if you will. I've tried this before and it worked... for about five days.
But the problem with that was it was only one project, life happens, things get in the way, etc. I will get a calendar, one with a big square for each day, and I will cross out the days I do work. If I forget or I can't do it, so be it. I'll take a leaf out of nerdfitness and just say "never two in a row" (or something to that effect). There can even be overtime, so if I do something for longer than 9 to 5 then I can count that as my overtime hours which can amass to be a day off. One day a week off, seeing as most of my work is pretty fun and what I would be doing when I wasn't working when I had a job.  That and some of it is exercise, which will get me off my lazy butt.
Tomorrow I think I'll tackle improving my art and buying (or making) a calendar in the morning, and... checking up on my grad school stuff, contacting some friends about rock climbing or getting together, and studying some programming, maybe go running.
What're your plans for tomorrow? Work? Good go do that and then go do something fun that you enjoy and want to get done. School? Good go learn that stuff and then go outside and run around, it's good for you. Other commitments? Go do them get them done, then come home and unwind, read that book or watch that movie you've been wanting to see for ages. (See I'm not a total dictator, you can relax too)
Whatever it is you've wanted to do, go and do it.  I don't care if you're the busiest person in the world, you can certainly spare at least five minutes and just breathe, right?
It's late, I need to sleep and wake up early. I've got a full day ahead of me tomorrow. Do you? :)

No comments: