~*~

~*~

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Otaku?

I randomly ran across an article about something Miyazaki said, and then found a second post explaining it a bit more.
Basically, anime sucks a lot right now because it's only appealing to fans, instead of actually creating real people and stories.
Which got me thinking about a writer's relationship to the audience through a book or movie.
It can be awesome when a creator does something to reach out to fans.
A silly example that I find hilarious is actually from My Little Pony. That one pony Derpy, became huge among fans. So huge that they actually added her into a couple of the episodes.
Stuff like that, little hints that make some people really happy and are unnoticed by others, can be an awesome way of appealing to an audience.
I myself have gotten very excited over tiny things like that (Wolverine's 3-second cameo in the X-Men Origins movie).
But at the same time, it's not good to pander to fans too much. Because here's the thing. Not everyone likes the same stuff. And just because some fans are louder than others does not mean that everyone else agrees with them. Fans aren't the ones in charge of creating something. They don't know the story and the characters as well as the writer does. And they haven't studied about creating stories.
For example, in my fanfiction, there's one guy that keeps asking me to add in the legendary Pokémon that haven't made an appearance in my story yet. Except I don't want to force random legendary Pokémon into my story unless there's a good reason. And I've had a couple people ask me to include their OCs. I don't mind giving a couple cameos, but they don't always fit into the plots that I have in mind.
So many movies/series I've been seeing recently have all felt exactly the same. There's no depth to them, it's all just a lot of fighting, and inevitably some romance thrown in. I've been trying to watch some of the super hero movies that build up the the Avengers. But all of the movies in that series all seem the same to me. Sure, they each have an underlying message. Which is good, but it takes up maybe 5% of the movie with the rest of it just fighting and crud. Sigh. The new Star Trek was like that too.

And another way of appealing to fans. Just because the book/movie is made for an audience does not mean that the audience POV should overshadow the motivations of all the characters and plot.
This is a rant I've been wanting to do for a while, about this topic. The end of season 2 of Sherlock was great.
And season 3, episode 1 where they explained it was really lame.
And all of the reasons for that seem to go back to the fact that they were appealing too much to fans, and not focusing on what made sense to the story.
There were a couple little things, which wouldn't have bothered me if they weren't combined with the big problem. The little things being the theories about how Sherlock planned the fall. And then we got what appeared to be the real explanation, given to a person that he'd have no reason to tell. Which means that it might not actually be true. That wouldn't bother me either, if it really wasn't true. Except it must have been true, and they're just trying to confuse the viewer. Unless the writers couldn't think of a good explanation, so they wouldn't give us one at all (Which is unforgivable if it's true).
No, this is the thing that bothered me. (Spoilers coming up, by the way.) The entire fall was staged for the sole purpose of screwing with John. It wasn't to fool the snipers, which was the only real reason to begin with. Because apparently they were "discouraged" from their job. No. The entire thing was planned just so they could make John think that Sherlock was dead. Why? There was absolutely no reason to keep him in the dark, when everyone else knew. Except to show off to the audience and make them wonder how it happened. I get that Sherlock needed to go undercover to break up that organization. But why did that need to be kept from John?
I'd want to strangle Sherlock too.
And on top of that, Sherlock doesn't let John apologize on his own. Instead he goes "ooh, you're engaged and everything, but I'm going to pretend like you're going to die just to force you to apologize!"
Sherlock may not be the best with people, but those two things are waaay beyond what anyone should do to a person. Especially their best (and only) friend.

Except Nicole says that the next episode is really good, so I'm looking forward to watching that with Mom.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Mmm, no offense but I think you're a little off about what Miyazaki thinks the problem with the anime industry is. Rather than simply being a problem of 'catering to fans', the problem is along the lines of 'deluded people (a.k.a otakus) are creating shows catering to other deluded people'. And from what I've seen from other media and some of Miyazaki's other comments, I'd argue that he's criticizing society as a whole rather than just the 'otaku' population. But maybe I'm wrong.