~*~

~*~

Friday, October 9, 2015

Disturbing the Universe... Accidentally

In the young adult fiction class, we're reading a book called Disturbing the Universe. Which basically analyzes a lot of themes in YA literature. The title comes from the desire of young adults to affect their surorundings. To "disturb the universe."
For example, refusing to do somthing you're told to do at school.
I think it was originally a quote from something else though (I didn't find the book too helpful most of the time).

But I think I accidentally did that yesterday...

Last week, during my creative writing class, I turned in a poem. I kind of wanted to share it, but I kind of didn't want to share it. So I turned it in without my name on it, just to see what would happen.
And this week, it appeared in the usual poetry packet, to my surprise.

Then the teacher said that she didn't like how it didn't have a name, and asked if it belonged to anyone. I was kind of curious to see if it would get read anyway, so I didn't say anything.
And then all these theories started flying around. The title of the poem was "Hidden from Myself." And Steve said that it was ironic as a title, because the author was hidden.
And then Natasha asked if someone didn't feel comfortable with the class, and this went on for a couple minutes.
And I still didn't say anything because I was starting to feel really stupid. And I started thinking about that "disturbing the universe thing. And "holy crud, why is this going so far? I just didn't put my name on something!"
I said we should just skip it.
Finally Claire said that the person probably was probably absent, as opposed to this being some elaborate act.
It was no longer an elaborate act. It was just embarrassment.

So, in the end, people probably decided that some dumb, absent student just hadn't remembered to put their name on their assignment.
And it didn't get read aloud, or discussed. But I suppose some people read it during the 2-minute panic.

So, I felt pretty dumb.

But I also read a short story later in the class. I haven't turned in another Ashes chapter, so I thought I'd bring something different. It's a 2-page scene from Katani's story (actually, it takes palce 10 years before Katani's story), which I've read in class a couple times as an example of enviornmental fiction.

The same person who said she didn't like Ashlyn said that she didn't like Shanka. It seems to be that she doesn't like people who fight to protect important stuff, because other peopel want to get that stuff?
And then I realized that I don't particularly like her characters either. I kind of wanted to say it, but that would have been a jerk response. I'm not sure why she keeps bringing it up though. She's told me at least three times that she doesn't like my main character. I get it. We don't like writing the same characters.

I'm starting to whine. I think I'm getting tired. Once again, the evening was spent on my project. Maybe I'll go read some homework instead. That way my brain doesn't have to think as hard for a little while.

No comments: