~*~

~*~

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Inktober

So, if you're on an art website, like Deviantart, you may have heard of Inktober.
Basically it means that the month of October is for drawing in ink. Marker, pen, ex.

~

#1 Preparing for Halloween by Picolo-kun on DeviantArt ~

I kind of accidentally started it.
During one of the books we read for the young adult fiction class, the character had a journal. Not not the kind of journal I generally think about. He didn't record events. He just wrote down thoughts and his state of mind and such.
I thought it might be interesting to try something like that.
So I went through my large stash of notebooks, and came across this pretty leather-bound one. It's the kind of notebook you get because it's pretty. Except it's so fancy looking that you never want to use it, because you don't think you can do it justice. I have a couple like that... this one must have been in my cabinet for years. I have no idea where it came from. Probably a gift. So, I finally decided to crack it open.
On every page, I write something I think about. Like how I almost never really notice what people look like on a given day. I don't pay attention to outfits, makeup, hair, ex. Unless it's something really uusual. Therefore don't ask me how you look... I'm much more interested in how you act.
A friend in my creative writing class, Claire, thinks this is funny. Or maybe she's annoyed that I never notice when she puts a lot of work into her outfit? She's a lot mores stylish than me...
But basically, I think that everyoe's pretty.

So, that's the kind of stuff I write about. Things that I think are weird about me. Or stuff I don't udnerstand about society. They're not really secrets, but I don't really ever say aloud them either. It's interesting to think about them and put them on paper. It lets me see myself better.
And then on the back of each page, I sketch one of my characters.

I found this nice black pen, which is really fun to work with, so that's what I've used so far.

And now we roll back around to Inktober. When I saw it was starting, I decided that I'd up my game with my notebook and try to write or draw somethign in it every day. I'd actually started the project a few weeks before Inktober began. I just stumbled on the event by accident and picked it up.

So I invite you to try it! If you have a pretty book (or any book) lying around, pull it out. Try some interesting take on Inktober, to pay homage to art by ink.

No comments: