~*~

~*~

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Your Tour Guide

For the last couple weeks of 2015 (before I started my next big writing project) I did some work on the guides for my two main worlds.
For my first outline, I've been writing it in a sort of textbook voice. Which is handy for getting all of the data sorted out and organized.

Now, when I was reading Seraphina, I read through the glossary, and other info at the back of the book. Because I like seeing info on the world and culture, etc.
And the glossary was actually written with voice. And it actually made me laugh a couple times.

When I read the second book's glossary, it got me thinking. Why would I want to write my world guides like a textbook? Given the choice, most people would rather not read a textbook when presented with so many other possibilities for reading (or watching/playing).
(Not to mention one of the main arguments I've used over and over throughout my grad program is that fiction is great at getting across environmental messages specifically because it's NOT a textbook).
So, I thought that I should have my guides presented as though a character were leading you around and explaining stuff.

But who?
And the answer was immediately obvious.
Fern.
So, in the far future, when I have some sort of presentable version of the guidebooks, they will be presented to you by Fern.
Also, since I would have glossaries at the end of my stories (with info about the dragons, characters, magic, etc) they can also be told by Fern.

It will be nice to give her more room to herself~ Usually she's tangled in the stories that other people have already written.

No comments: