~*~

~*~

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Flying over the City

On Thursday, Dad and I went to the wildlife center where I volunteer, and picked up a red tail hawk. We drove him to the city and let him fly free.
He landed on top of a lamp post and sat there, completely bewildered. He was still there when we left.
And this morning, Dad and I picked up another hawk to release. We took him to a park in the city, and I tossed him up into the air. He circled up and landed in the tree directly above us.
It's funny, I don't think anyone even noticed.
He seemed less stressed than the first guy. After a couple minutes, he started preening, and then flew over to another tree.
I hope they both do great!

I've released opossums, raccoons, and squirrels before, but never a raptor. Dad had been bugging me about doing a raptor release for ages, and now we did two in a week. I don't think that's enough for him. He wants to do all of them now. XP
Since it's winter, we have very few animals. But we do have a lot of hawks. I think there's still five of them. I'm not sure why we have so many.

No comments: