~*~

~*~

Sunday, January 26, 2014

I Predict...

I was thinking recently about how predictable stories tend to be. Usually I just take it as it comes. I was reading a book called Angelology. And as I reached the last pages, I figured that it would be a typical happy reunion ending.
Except it wasn't.
And I realized that I was really relieved. I wasn't able to predict the ending, and it was refreshing.
I mean, I do like happy endings. And I get really mad if the ending feels like a rip-off (I got soooo mad the first time I watched Wolf's Rain). But not everything needs to be perfect at the end of a story (As long as the main bad guy isn't still running around, destroying worlds and stuff).

For example, during Frozen, I kept whispering predictions to Dad, and most of them were right. I still enjoyed the movie a lot, but if I can tell 90% of what's going to happen, it takes out some suspense and excitement.

I watched the end of season 3 of Once Upon a Time. And it really felt like they were wrapping everything up and getting ready to end the series. And I was sad that Emma and Henry wouldn't go with the others (or remember). But I was also glad that it was different than I expected. It may not have been the happiest of all possible endings, but it worked and I was satisfied that everyone would go on and everything would be okay.
After all, the original curse was to remove all happy endings, so that ties in nicely.
And then during the final freaking minute of the episode, they dropped this huge "ooh, look, we tricked you! We're gonna do another season after all!" And I got really mad. Everything was so nicely wrapped up, and they're going to drag it out for another season.
@#$$
I like endings, see. Good endings, at least. Endings are what you're left with, and some leave me with the most amazing feelings.
But mostly I like endings because they save a story from being dragged out too much. Which isn't a problem if it continues to be good. Hopefully I'll continue to enjoy Once Upon a Time.
I realize that they probably got permission to continue the series at the last minute and had to quickly film that teaster, but still. Soooo annoying. >:/
(I'll still watch it though).

And here's a differnt level of knowing what's going to happen. Last night, we watched the last episode of season 2 of Sherlock.
(Spoilers)
I've read the books. So I don't know how predictable it is for someone who hasn't read the books. I know that when Sherlock falls, he'd find a way to survive.
Apparently the author killed Sherlock, but the fan reaction was so extreme that he had to bring him back. XD
I knew Sherlock couldn't be dead. So I thought I wouldn't get pulled into the emotion of it as much. Until John goes up to the grave and goes "Please don't be dead."
TTATT
I can't wait to see how they explain Sherlock's escape. And how John will react. He passed out in the book. I'd kinda like to see that happen. Heheh.
Yeah, the two of them are really great.

Even if you know what's going to happen, there's still plenty of ways to keep a reader/viewer on the edge of their seat.
But if you can do something unexpected that makes sense, GO FOR IT!!~


PS Starting my grad program tomorrow. O__O

No comments: