~*~

~*~

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Parallels

When Ellen, Nicole and I watched How to Train your Dragon earlier this year, Ellen and Nicole brought up some parallel scenes that I hadn't noticed, and some I had noticed.
I thought it would be fun to post about them. Movies can have this kind of "analysis" stuff just like books do (I analyzed a scene of Star Wars for my final high school english project).
First there's the obvious ones like Hiccup's "You just gestured to all of me."
And there's Astrid's "That's for scaring me. And (smooch) that's for everything else."
And the "We're vikings. It's an occupational hazard."
"Thank you for summing that up for me." Poor Hiccup.
And when Stoick says "You're not my son," and then later, "I'm proud to have you as my son."
And the one where Toothless looses the left half of his tail, and Hiccup loses his left leg.
At the beginning, Hiccup that the biggest problems with Berk are the pests. At the end, he says the best things about Berk are the pets.
"While some people have ponies or parrots, we have dragons." It was either Ellen or Nicole who asked "Why'd they pick ponies and parrots instead of cats and dogs?" To which I replied, "Parrots can fly and you can ride horses. Which I basically pulled out of thin air, but I guess it make sense... maybe. Plus there's the alliteration.
Okay. Less obvious parallels.
When Toothless first falls into the little cove, he can't get out no matter how hard he tries. But when Hiccup is in danger, Toothless finds the strength to get out to help Hiccup. He couldn't escape to save himself, but he could to save Hiccup.
When Hiccup is looking at Toothless lying on the ground after he shot him, Hiccup says "I did this." And when Stoick is looking at Toothless after he falls into the fire, he says "I did this."
And when the vikings take Toothless and sail for the nest, the vikings aren't really sure what's going on and Gobber is asking what the plan is, in a sort of "what the heck are we doing" manner. While at the same time, the rest of the kids are completely confident in Hiccup and asking "so, what's the plan?"
And throughout the movie, Hiccup is like "I can't kill dragons." And he does. He helps kill the big Green Death (or Red Death?).
I think I'm missing some. Do you remember any, guys?

1 comment:

Nicole S said...

I really liked the difference between "can't" and "won't" in the movie.