~*~

~*~

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Re: Girls are Crazy

I should be doing my many projects but oh well!

Yes girls are crazy, it's a given fact, although I think it depends on the context on which you see girls. If you're a girl yourself you'll probably think that girls are in general crazier than guys, especially now a days. I think that in more recent years (recent being the last century or so) girls have been allowed to be more open about what they think, women's liberation and what not. A long time ago (anywhere from forever ago to the 1800s) women weren't supposed to express their opinions as much. This all varies from culture to culture and from societal norms back then (although this doesnt mean that this doesnt happen today)

For example I'm going to take different time periods and cultures (Ancient China, the 1950s, present) and i'm going to compare them socially and culturally.

So obviously we all know the stereotype of Asian people being soft-spoken, nerdy, shy, and blah blah blah (and we all know i dont really fit that stereotype) Well this comes from years of Asian (especially Chinese ideology) of women being lesser than men. Now I know that all cultures have some kind of thing where men are better than women yatta yatta, but in China being a girl is tough and I mean really tough. If you thought corsets and being forced into marriage was bad consider this.

In China there's a certain hierarchy of importance in a family. I know every culture has a pyrimad like this but bear with me.

At the top of the pyramid you have old people, specifically old men. Then the old women, unless there is a son. In which they share almost equal power over the family. After that come the younger men, grandsons, nephews, what have you, but these men aren't considered children.

Then comes the group of kids (boys of course)

Then comes animals, livestock, pets, etc.

Then comes the women

Then comes the girls.

Yeah...and if that wasnt bad enough, let me show you where each group falls on the resource line. Where those on the + side are seen as a 'gain' in resources, while those on the - side are seen as a 'drain' on resources

+: old men, men, boys, animals
-: old women, women, girls

Say it with me now...WHAT?!??!?!?!

Yeah that's right. women/girls are seen as a drain on resources, you dont really get anything from them, and if they dont like it there's thousands of others who'd replace them.

Isnt that fun?

Anyway let's jump to America in the 50s...ah a time of peace, the Golden Age. Psh like it's ever that easy. Everyone was so worried about their reputation/appearance or whatever that nobody I repeat NOBODY could do anything against the societal 'norm'. No divorce, no fights, no airing your dirty laundry (figuratively of course, then again I'm not sure if the literal was smiled upon...), no scandals, no being unhappy, no nothing. Everything had to be perfect...

again WHAT?!?!?!

This idea of perfection stretched to men too, but of course women were lower than men anyway so it kind of got worse for them too.

I dont know know all that much about the 50s so I'll leave that for you to fill in.

Let's fast-forward to America today. Going back to Tara's post about crazy girls on the internet. They post...a lot...and not only that they post a lot of weird stuff such as 'please have my babies' and the like. Seeing that women have gained a lot more freedom from the double standard and that the internet is anonymous, I can see why it seems like girls today are crazy (I'm not saying that they're not crazy, just that it makes sense why they seems so much crazier than the old societal norms).

Now that bring the comparison with boys of today. I think that the...expressiveness of the male population has remained kind of stagnant...like the line of y=3. No rate of change (not to say there wasnt any change, just that overall there hasnt been much, especially because they had the most say/freedom of speech compared to girls, and now they're kind of limited because of it).

And the girl's expressiveness over time has kind of grown exponentially so their line is more like y=2^x, and if I'm doing my math right (and it's possible i'm not) it's kind of skyrocketed, especially if you compare it to the other line...

...and my internet died so I lost my whole wrap up bit about why guys talk with guys about girls and girls talk with girls about guys. But that girls also talk with guys about guys and that's because of the whole math bit up there. It was a lot more intelligent and witty the first time (and a lot longer) but that's the explanation in a nutshell.

Hope that answered your question tara. Rebuttals are welcome and encouraged (in no way am I saying that what I think is the absolute truth or whatever, it's just what I think, and I'm open to new ideas and stuff) Um...yeah I gotta go do my project that's due in...a few hours...fun...

No comments: