~*~

~*~

Monday, May 7, 2012

Fiction Class

I just realized that I don't think I ever did this post. And I've been planning it for a couple months now.
So, most of my fiction class involves three peopel per day passing out copies of something they wrote. Then everyone takes it home, reads it, and marks it up. In class the next day, we discuss the stories.
Now, considering this is, you know, a writing class, I figured that the people in it would be able to write.
Not so.
At least half of the stories I've read are completely full of errors. I spend so much time trying to fix their grammar and sentence structure that I barely get a chance to think about the stuff that's actually important, like character interaction and plot. Its really annoying having to fix the stuff they should be ablet of fix themselves. Seriously, learn to write.
I may sound a bit cranky, but you would be too after 60+ stories, some of which are very long.
And even ignoring writing skill, there's only a couple writers that do a good job. And there's only been a handful of stories that I actually enjoyed. Like one last week about this creepy circus that apparently steals peoples souls (figuratively, maybe)?
Anyway, what was I trying to get at?
Oh.
So, if you like to write, great. Write. Keep writing a lot. It's the only way to get better. Some of the people in this class didn't seem to be very skilled at it.
Also, read a lot. It will help you figure out how words work and how sentences flow. Make stuff easy to read. This seemed like one of the biggest problems. Also, learn about grammar, even if only basic grammar. I know it's boring.
And finally, before you show your stuff to other people, do your best to make it as good as possible. Why should people care about your story if you don't even care enough to edit it yourself?

No comments: