~*~

~*~

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Little Rock Nine

So today (Friday) my band had to play at graduation.
Fortunately my band is at a different school than where I go to college, so graduation is quite small (which means we don't have to play Pomp and Circumstance for an hour straight, like we did in high school).
The graduation was more interesting this year, because the guest speaker was Minnijean Brown-Trickey, one of the Little Rock Nine. We read a book about them in high school called "Warriors Don't Cry," written by one of the other Little Rock Nine.
The Little Rock Nine were nine black students who were the first to attend a highly racial white school to help end segregation. It went very badly for them. Not only did they have to deal with angry, violent students and crowds, but they also had to deal with the state police.
I recommend the book, because there's no way I can do justice to its contents.
Actually, Crystal just sent me an article about racism and Martin Luther King Jr. I would post it right now, but I'm on my laptop, and the article is on my desk computer. And currently my desk computer is completely screwed up. I hope I can get it fixed soon, because I need to finish applying for the summer program...

Aaaanyway, I got to listen to her give a speech to the graduates. The speakers weren't very good, but I did to to record it. I'll check if it came out.
I tried to find her after the graduation was over, but I couldn't find her anywhere. Oh well. I got to hear her talk. That was pretty cool.

No comments: